PIP Reward Unchanged/Seeking Advice (NI/Belfast) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Reward Unchanged/Seeking Advice (NI/Belfast)

Zipzopdippidybop
Zipzopdippidybop Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi lads; I'm 29, living in Belfast, and am diagnosed with epilepsy. I have been on PIP since it was rolled out here (DLA before that); basically I sent in for a "change in circumstances" for my PIP, due to changes in my own life (namely, I have been diagnosed with depression since last Summer, and - to my surprise - also been put down for Aspergers assessment from my doctor, as he and my family think I have it). Anyways, I went for my assessment in December there, noting all the new changes; cue this week I had my decision - no change whatsoever. 

To be honest, I'm a tad irate - particularly as I disagreed with a few parts in the report, for example -

1. I stated that I needed supervision when cooking, i.e. knives and utensils. Assessors conclusion = "can use a microwave".

2. I said that I require social support to function in social environments (I am undergoing counselling); her conclusion = "needs prompting".

3. I stated that I need supervision in the bath and when on toilet (due to potential risk of seizure during any of these events); her conclusion = "needs supervision for bath, not for toilet" (both are in the same room).

As I am 2 points shy of the award I was aiming for (daily living) I can't help but feel that this downplaying of several points I had made was deliberate, particularly as I protested these prior to the actual decision.

Anyways, this brings me to my point - I expect an MR to be a complete waste of time, and a tribunal is simply too far down the road. Can I simply apply anew, or go for another "change in circumstances"? If I can, I will insist on having the session recorded, and for my words to be very clear and succinct.

What have your experiences been with the DWP?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have an award in payment then you cannot make a new claim
    Re-applying with the same evidence is most likely to produce the same result, even a change of circumstance will meam that  your award will be looked at in total, points can be deducted.
    Best advice is to get trained help from a local agency, CAB, Welfare rights or similar.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with CockneyRebel, a change of circumstances so soon will likely see the same award given. MR and Tribunal is the best option but you should get some expert face to face advice before doing this. They will look at the whole award again and no one here can tell you if there's any risks to your current award.

You can't insist on have the assessment recorded for PIP because they don't record the assessments. You can record your own but you'll need permission before doing this. You'll also need to use the correct recording devices which would be CD/tape recorders and you must produce 2 identical copies and hand 1 copy in at the end. Recording on any other device is not aloud.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Zipzopdippidybop
    Thank you very much for the replies, your advice is greatly appreciated!

What you both say makes sense (hold back, get advice) but I honestly don't care if they make the award worse (as I will only have a stronger case in a Tribunal if needed); my aim is simply to have a reassessment ASAP.

For example, in 2 weeks I am being made homeless (involuntarily; thankfully I have a place to stay in the interim); anyways, I am going to go to the doc sometime this week and will probably get an increase on my meds (as I am barely coping on the current ones). Would this not be a significant enough example to warrant "new evidence", and therefore a reassessment?
  • poppy123456
    A change of medication will not be enough of evidence to score any more points in any of the descriptors. PIP is all about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Why put in another change of circumstances when you can request the MR/Tribunal on this decision?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Zipzopdippidybop
    Because I strongly suspect a MR will turn out the same (given the myriad number of complaints about the procedure) and a Tribunal will be months down the road. I cannot afford to wait that long unfortunately.
  • poppy123456
    Most MRs do remain the same. So what makes you think that having more or different medication will help you get a higher award if you report more changes? If the award stays the same or even worse you lose what you already have, the road will become even longer. Your logic doesn't make any sense, sorry. Anyway, what ever your decision, good luck.

Brightness