Why was I taken off ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why was I taken off ESA?

Options
kevtully
kevtully Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Can you please explain why many years ago I was taken off esa because my wife worked 30 hours a week as it still confuses me? although i worked up to being ill?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @kevtully

Thank you for sharing this with. I am sorry to hear about this. Some of our members may be able to help you with this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You were most likely claiming Income related ESA and your wife returning to work would have meant you wouldn't have been entitled to claim.

Had you been claiming Contributions based ESA then your wife working wouldn't have affected your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kevtully
    kevtully Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Ah, thank you, makes my blood boil though, we lived hand to mouth for a number of years they kept assessing me to see if I was able to work? I passed every time but they finally got their way by taking my sickness benefit off me HORRIBLE PEOPLE.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Income related benefits are means tested, which means household income from a partner that works affects what you can claim. As your partner worked 30 hours per week then you wouldn't have been entitled to anything at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.