Being sent for second assessment as Atos don't have enough information — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being sent for second assessment as Atos don't have enough information

lmas
lmas Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’ve been for pip assessment 2019 I have fibromyalgia spondylitis osteoarthritis struggle walking anxiety depression after car accident numbness in my hands legs arms feet pains in spine neck and shoulders . I’ve been to see a rheumatologist and have phrilific nerve pain and have regular visits to the doctor. Autos said they don’t have enough information about my illness and are sending me for another face to face assessment a month 2 weeks after I’ve had one for one hour n a half . They said if I do not go my payments will stop. They have made my illness worse as the anxiety of this causes the widespread pain in my body. I phoned dep they said it’s up2 atos if I have not give them enough information I said I’ve sent them all hospital and doctors reports if I don’t go to 2nd assessment my money will stop. I’ve worked for over 30 years and never claimed anything how can they send me for another assessment after already having one. With help off the hospital I am feeling little better but their constant questions and I feel as though they don’t believe me I’m very unwell. Is this right??

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lmas   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry what has happened.  I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise new members who join.

In response to your question.  I know there will be others in our community or a member of our team to advise you more clearly.

I wanted to add have you spoken to CAB about your situation.  Could be useful to contact them may advise you further.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lmas

Welcome it’s great to meet meet you today ???????

I’m also a “Community Champion” 

I have also got “Nerve Pain”

Yes I tend to keen away from “Stress” as that always makes things 100 times worse!!!!!!!!!!!

@steve51

• lmas
    I do stay away from stress but atos and dwp cause me unnecessary stress keep questioning my illness when they have lots of evidence from me my doctor and hospitals yet they still make me go for face to face accesments not one but two in a month. Take care and you look after yourself...
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Bottom line - the first assessment probably wasn't carried out properly - ATOS is at fault.
    It's not your fault - If the assessor failed to extract enough information from you during the first assessment then that is down to them and they should apologise - which will never happen.

Yes they are playing hard ball in saying that if you don't attend your money will stop. Not fair on you but unfortunately when the piper wants to play you have to dance to the tune so to speak that is if you want an award.
  • lmas
    Hi this thanks for message hope u well x Yes ur absolutely right I phoned them today and that’s what they said. They cancelled my appointment for now but I may get another one in fact I probably will. I have give them allsorts of information and sat one accesment for 1 hour 30 mins n I thought she was thorough in her questioning n I was in bed I’ll for 3 days after it so god knows what my next one will be like. If they just let me try get my life a little better through the hospital without all the interrogations I wouldn’t be as poorly well I certainly would have anxiety which causes my nerve pain n keeps me housebound for days. 

• lmas
    Hi I’m referring to a review.....
  • lmas
    Yes but it’s causes me stress and nerve pain for days but thank you I know what you mean. Dwp said they don’t understand why I have got 2nd accessment they have a lot of information but then I’d ask why send me for accesment in the first place. Take care and thanks again.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Thanks for for letting us know @lmas , please keep us updated. Best wishes.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @ Imas  I would advise you to think very carefully about whether you can go through another "interrogation" or whether you really think they've got enough information and shouldn't be asking you to go through this again. Looking at your posts I think I know what the answer would be. Even if the assessor didn't do a good job if they've got enough evidence on paper from you a decision can be made. I don't agree with this attitude of we must do as we're told. We have rights and when it comes down to our health that's more important than anything. Even if you decide to go to another assessment you can write to ATOS (IAS) and complain that this has happened. The fact that they have cancelled the next one along with DWP saying they do have enough information looks like you're half the way there to not having to have another one. It's up to you to fight for what you believe is right and which option would cause you the least stress. I too have nerve damage and have had a bad car crash so I can sympathize on that score. You could also contact your MP for help with this but only after you have decided what YOU want to do. Did ATOS book another date or say you only have one chance to cancel then you have to go to another one on a different date? If not they may not contact you again. Your objection to going both to them and DWP may have been enough to stop it happening.  
  • lmas
    Hi thank you for your comments and your support just to update you now they want me to have a home assessment I’m really unsure what to do they said they are writing to me. Cab or mp even dwp can’t understand why I have got another assessment .....
    The both of them I’ve made me housebound with nerve pain n tears n anxiety for over 6 months I’m just all over place and believe me I’m not soft I’m a fighter I’m trying my best to have a happy life it’s just them. I do hope your well and manage ok in life ...
    your help is much appreciated.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.