PIP waiting time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP waiting time

Cheryl161028
Cheryl161028 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just wondered how long is acceptable to wait for a pip appeal? My son has been waiting over 60 weeks and has had to turn down his place at university. 

Comments

• Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering

Hi @Cheryl161028

Welcome!

I am very sorry that you have been waiting such a long time. It is a very stressful process. Unfortunately PIP appeals can take over a year.

Many of our members on the community have had similar issues with their appeals so they will be able to share their experiences with you.

Please do keep us updated.

Take care

• simon_cut
    simon_cut Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi I had a appeal tribunal it took just under 6 months that was in Birmingham  have heard some areas are shorter wait some are longer !! Good luck don't give up 
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    simon_cut said:
    Hi I had a appeal tribunal it took just under 6 months that was in Birmingham  have heard some areas are shorter wait some are longer !! Good luck don't give up 
    Hi that's good to see the tribunal in 6 months I live just out side wigan and i am still have not got a date and that is from ( FEB 2018 ) and still know date and if I ring up and ask if I can have a update on long I have to go from the last time I asked them for every week I take away the times go up by 5 to 10 weeks how can I win with this system there must be a time limit to how long you have to see the tribunal and not get there is no time limit how is this right can someone tell me Please 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no time limit to the waiting times for any Tribunal. It all depends on backlog in your area. When you ring to ask for a time scale they can only give you an estimate. Most of the country have huge backlogs and some are waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date. Unfortunately, there's nothing more you can do but wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lilp
    Lilp Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I rang in November 2018 and was told the waiting time in my area (South Tyneside) was 44 to 45 weeks. I called again in January 2019 and was told 45 to 46 weeks. I called again a week or two back and was told 50 to 51 weeks. I won't bother calling again, it just moves constantly out of reach.
  • Gerald
    Hi Lilp welcome to the club my one is from FEB 2018 first it was 8 weeks then it was 35 to 37 then 55 to 60 weeks god knows how long next time I ask and that is in the ( NORTH WEST ) I think there hope is I give up well sod that know way I will do that.
  • poppy123456
    The last thing HMCTS want you to do is give up. Back logs are all over the country.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gerald
    Hi poppy123456 it just  like for the one week I get off 5 weeks go on it like know mater how close I get pushed back I know there are back logs all over the country its just that this is from FEB 2018 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m sorry to hear that. For us it took several weeks. Two days after sending off the paperwork I called to check on the application form. I threatened to involve my partner who is a lawyer or the media if we were not awarded DLA. My partner is a special needs lawyer. His areas of practice are SN trusts and special education problems. 
    Please don’t give up. Have you considered talking to a solicitor in your area or not? 
  • poppy123456
    A solicitor will charge for their services. Why pay someone when there's advice agencies out the that will help for free.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    The last thing HMCTS want you to do is give up. Back logs are all over the country.
    With respect I doubt if they actually care.
    At best it would make life easier for them if people drop out instead of adding to the long queue.
  • Lilp
    HMCTS are not invested in the outcome of appeals, but they're clearly somewhat overwhelmed by the numbers. It would surely be something of a relief to them to have a few people drop out. I'm not suggesting they have a sinister motive, just that the situation is rapidly becoming unmanageable for them
  • Lilp
    So, my daughter got her tribunal date yesterday! It's on the 16th of April so a wait of 54 weeks in total. I feel partly relieved at the thought of getting it over with, but also terrified.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.