Backdated pay and overpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated pay and overpayment

Options
lebabes219
lebabes219 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
hi was wondering if someone could help I won my tribunal last week for my pip daily living. I have recently been told that I owe dwp over £4000 from an overpayment off income support from 20 years ago! Will the dwp take my back dated pay that is due to me to cover this debt? 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome I am not an expert in these matters but the income tax people can only claim back up to six years if I am correct but somebody will tell me otherwise, I would goggle your question and see what comes up it might surprise you and us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome I am not an expert in these matters but the income tax people can only claim back up to six years if I am correct but somebody will tell me otherwise, I would goggle your question and see what comes up it might surprise you and us.
    Income Support isn't income tax. DWP can't take you to court after 6 years but they can deduct an overpayment from earnings and a benefit payment. Whether they can take money from a disability benefit backdated payment, i'm really unsure.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just looked on line and you could or can ask for the overpayment to be waived, but you have to ask, request this so get some advice from CAB or a benefits officer.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do you have a link for that?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lebabes219
    Options
    I have searched online and they can go back for overpayments the 6 years doesn’t count for dwp. I have looked at some info about trying to get it waived but I already have a deduction coming out of my UC so basically is as good as agreeing with them that I owe them the money. I have no idea and have no proof wotsoever in trying to prove hem wrong, can’t remember much about last week let alone over 20 years ago ☹️ Someone in a group said they can’t take it from a disability payment but others disagree! Confused.com 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just found a link and yes they can recovery the debt from back dated PIP money. See link and scroll to chapter 5.... part 5.8, then there's a link that says "appendix 1 for the complete list of benefits they can recover a debt from.

• lebabes219
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.