Why have we been transferred from ESA to UC and will this affect PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why have we been transferred from ESA to UC and will this affect PIP?

shauncal
shauncal Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my wife went for her assessment in early to mid January. She's just had a phone call saying she's being transferred from ESA to universal credit.  They told her that due to her mental health issues surrounding her physical problems she is not fit for work. Would this decision come from her assessment and would it have any bearing on her claim for transition from FLA to PIP

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm not sure why she's being transferred from ESA to UC, are you sure this is correct? The transfer process hasn't even started yet. Or was she claiming UC to start with and had a work capability assessment for the UC? May i ask how often she receives her payments?

DLA and PIP are not part of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shauncal, and a warm welcome to the community!
  • poppy123456
    During this phone call are you sure they didn't tell her "she's fit for work" rather than "not fit for work" i'm thinking she may have misheard what was said and she's been found fit for work so they told her to claim Universal credit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • shauncal
    shauncal Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks for the welcome she has been claiming DLA  from 2007 middle rate care and higher rate motability. She gets her payment monthly.
  • poppy123456
    shauncal said:
    Thanks for the welcome she has been claiming DLA  from 2007 middle rate care and higher rate motability. She gets her payment monthly.
    DLA isn't part of UC and neither is PIP.

When she received the call from DWP are you sure they didn't tell her "she's fit for work" rather than "not fit for work" i'm thinking she may have misheard what was said and she's been found fit for work so they told her to claim Universal credit.

I would advise her to ring ESA and ask them what the decision is on her work capability assessment. They are open until 6pm today and the number to ring is here. 0800 169 0310

They wouldn't advise her to claim UC if they told her she was not fit for work.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.