Lack of disabled bays - Glasgow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lack of disabled bays - Glasgow

Options
CB12
CB12 Scope Member Posts: 9 Connected
edited February 2019 in Transport and travel
I attended a University last week in Glasgow, the class usually begins at 6 but it was an earlier start, it was late and raining, I also had a puncture in my wheelchair. I parked in a clear parking bay opposite the ramp to get into the building, as it was a yellow line I wrongly assumed it was ok.  Within 10 mins I had a ticket!  My point is, the space was opposite the ramp.  The nearest bay other than that one was at least 10 mins away?  There is a real lack of disabled bays in Glasgow itself, this means I struggle to attend events, classes by myself. Who do I complain to?  

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @CB12

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear you had to go through this, before attending class. Have you informed your local council or University about this?
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @CB12....was it a council controlled parking area or a private one?  It could make a monumental difference to know who exactly you're dealing with as in many cases the council will be more likely to be sympathetic.  In Scotland there are Penalty Charge Notices and Parking Charge Notices, only one of which is legally enforceable while the other is used to frighten you into making a payment and personally I've just ignored their letters and they've eventually given up.   Have a look again at exactly what type of ticket you got and let us know. 

Private companies can issue parking tickets and may call them Parking Charge Notices, but they are not the same as the Penalty Charge Notice. They are not backed up by law. Instead, they are invoices for an alleged breach of contract.      DLTBGYD.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How many disabled parking places should, shopping ceneters, hospitals have??
  • CB12
    Options
    Hi DLTBGYD, Thank you for your reply. It was a controlled council bay. I parked in the car park last night, but it's such a struggle as it's a really steep hill.  It's dangerous, as coming down the hill it's so steep if I lose concentration I will end up in the busy road. Having a manual wheelchair means it's also impossible to get back up the hill, making me completely vulnerable at night.  The space I got ticketed in means no hill!  I have a choice of either waiting until 6 and being late or paying a fine of £30 to be independent. 
  • CB12
    Options
    Hi Antonia, I informed the Uni before I started that the hills would be a dealbreaker for me, they kindly gave me a pass for the staff car park. Unfortunately, this means having to manage a hill.  The parking bay opposite the ramped entrance is perfect, it's on the flat and it's opposite the ramp, it's also lit. There are no disabled bays close by.  I think personally that Glasgow City Council is one of the worst for disabled bays. What few there are, are also being taken away for electric parking bays. 

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options

Hello again @CB12.....as it's a council controlled bay I would appeal against the ticket, explaining the circumstances.  I'm sure that given what you say they would be sympathetic and cancel it .    Silly question maybe but you were displaying a blue badge?? 

Have to totally agree with you regarding electric charging points taking over disabled bays.   Another bugbear of mine is that more and more supermarkets are putting parent and child parking spaces closer to the entrance than disabled spaces.  

Life's not meant to be easy is it? 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• CB12
    Options
    Yes, my blue badge was clearly displayed.  Completely agree about the supermarkets and parent-child spaces.  I've also found that people have realised supermarkets and busy shopping centres, no tickets given if someone parks in blue badge spaces. Hence the spaces are used by all.

• Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Options
    Get all your wheelchair buddies together and organise a day of protest, block the entrance to the collage, get on the 6 O clock news, then afterwards, sue the council for discrimination.  ;)

Brightness