Change of area — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of area

rubes11
rubes11 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi i am moving to different area and different landlord. I read that esa is paid in arrears so i should have two weeks housing benefit  paid to new landlord. How does it all work when its whole new area. I will have to claim UC . Do they close esa when i apply for UC am worried about rent being in arrears. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If you do, do you receive the severe disability premium in with your ESA because you live alone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rubes11
    Hi, no only receive esa support group, nothing else.  My adult daughter lives with me and pays the difference in housing benefit for that.
  • poppy123456
    Then you'll have to claim UC once you've moved. Your ESA will stop the day you apply for UC and then it will transfer across. It will take a couple of weeks to transfer your ESA award to UC but you should be given Limited capability for work related activity for UC, if this isn't done then you'll need to contact ESA and speak to a case manager and ask for them to transfer your award across. You'll be paid what you're owed for ESA up until the day you claim UC. Any extra ESA you receive after that will be deducted from your UC.

I'm not sure about the 2 week run on in your situation because you're moving to a new area, with a different local council. I'd advise you to get further advice regarding this.

Once you've claimed UC you'll be given an appointment to attend your local job centre to verify your identity. When you attend this appointment if you're renting privately you'll need to take a copy of your tenancy agreement with you. If you're renting from social housing then you won't need to do that.

Your first payment of UC will be about 5 weeks, so you'll need to budget for that.

Once your ESA award has been transferred to UC then you should be slightly better off each month because LCWRA pays more the ESA Support Group, for those that aren't claiming the severe disability premium.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rubes11
    Hi thank you.  I will be moving in the second week of my 2 weekly esa, so I will have just over 1 weeks money from that claim.  I am only worried really about the rent, but I think I read that they can give an early payment (to be paid back) if I can just get that to cover the rent I will get through. My nerves are shredded.
  • poppy123456
    No problem. It's called an advance payment and needs to be claimed when you have your first appointment at the job centre. They will take money from future UC payments for that. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/get-an-advance-first-payment

• rubes11
    Thank you.  just one more thing, as esa is paid in arrears 2 weekly will I not get that while uc is being dealt with?
  • poppy123456
    Your ESA stops once you've claimed UC and transfers across. You will receive what they owe you up until you claimed UC. If you do receive any extra ESA payments after that and sometimes it does happen then this will be deducted from your UC. Don't expect the ESA to continue though because it should stop.
  • rubes11
    ok thank you so much.
  • rubes11
    Am relieved, just spoke with my new landlord who is happy to wait for the rent while the UC is sorted, a good report from my current landlord and no rent arrears helped.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.