Can i claim PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can i claim PIP?

Options
ing1211ram
ing1211ram Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have an hiatus hernia approx 3cm and am on 120mg of antidepressants and have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hands shoulders and back and lower limbs. I am a carer for my disabled husband and am finding it harder to tend to his needs as he has a back injury witch means i have to help him dress help him to get up and down and wash ect I was wondering whether I would be entitled to claim pip to get extra help for both our needs as I get tired quickly and my joints become painful and I have trouble walking without pain and it is now a struggle to cope. many thanks Di 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @ing1211ram

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear you have been in pain. Please have a look at our Calculate your benefits page, where you can find out what you can claim.

Please keep us updated or if you have any questions please let us know.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You must also be aged between 16-65, had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

You'll need evidence to support a claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

You say you're a carer for your husband? Do you receive carers allowance for looking after him? Does he receive PIP or DLA? If you do receive carers allowance for looking after him then this can go against  a PIP claim, if the reasons for your claim contradict the reasons why you're claiming carers allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ing1211ram
    ing1211ram Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi 
    I do get carers allowance and he gets high in both pip care and mobility but I am having difficulty addressing my husbands needs due to my conditions that have arisen over the past year but just don't know what to do for the best,

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.