NT? outside looking in — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NT? outside looking in

Superamymaggi
Superamymaggi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello everyone, 

I'm studying with the ACER at University of Birmingham and work with autistic adults at a residential home. I'm hyper aware that no matter how much I read about and work with autistics I'll always be a NT outside looking in. I am also extremely aware that NDs are often used as information sources for NTs and never regarded for the fact that they are people too! 
I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences of current legislation and in the hope of giving something back I'd be happy to talk about my experiences of working with autistic adults,  if anyone would find my expertise of any use?

Many thanks for your time, 

Amy

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Superamymaggi

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us. Hopefully some of our members will get back to you and you can ask our Autism and Aspergers advisor, @j@Jack_W if you have any questions.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Superamymaggi, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you find the community helpful. Would you like to tell us some more about your work?

We actually have an Autism and Asperger's theme coming up in a month or so, where we'll be sharing guest blogs by autistic writers. In the meantime, you may like to have a look through our other related discussions.
  • freckles
    freckles Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Hello superamymaggi i,d like some help with adult ASD
  • Superamymaggi
    Superamymaggi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    freckles said:
    Hello superamymaggi i,d like some help with adult ASD
    Happy to help any way that I can!
    I currently work at a residential home for adults with autism, we have 30+ people living with us. Over 2 years I've had experience with working with the majority of our people. I'm also the first aid officer on site and have recently become an instructor in PRICE which is the practice in which we support behaviours and promote positive practice, dignity and rights. 
    Please feel free to ask me anything ?

Brightness