ESA assessment - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA assessment

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    maggieomx said:
    When would i start a new claim ??
    When your money drops below £16,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maggieomx
    maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    So i move to wales ring them up and tell them my house is sold iv bought a new home got money in my account keep all receipts they will stop my ESA  and when i get to 16.000 in bank apply for UC OR ESA again am i nearly correct ???
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    maggieomx said:
    When would i start a new claim ??
    When your money drops below £16,000.

Yes, you can even check that online here.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-do-savings-and-lump-sum-pay-outs-affect-benefits
  • poppy123456
    maggieomx said:
    So i move to wales ring them up and tell them my house is sold iv bought a new home got money in my account keep all receipts they will stop my ESA  and when i get to 16.000 in bank apply for UC OR ESA again am i nearly correct ???
    Yes spot on. You will have a deduction in the benefit when you do reclaim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maggieomx
    Yayyyyy i knew id eventually get it what you've been saying to me !!
    So the first working day after i move in my new home thats when i tel them iv moved .i take the amount i get every 2 weeks out., 
    What about my pip is that the same ring and just tell them iv moved ?? 

• maggieomx
    So id take £382.90 what i get every 2 weeks off EESA out every 2 weeks. till i get to £16000. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, we got there! :) Having that lump sum doesn't mean you can't buy yourself the things you need, within reason. You don't have to keep receipts for every single thing you buy. You can replace old furniture, just don't buy the most expensive thing of course. They will more than likely ask for bank statements when you re-claim.

They will question paying off your mortgage so you'll need to get advice regarding that.

For everyone £250 over £6,000 you lose £1 of your benefits each week, £4 for every £1,000.  Don't forget, if you cancel the ESA claim completely then you won't be paid your NI credits for your state pension and if you claimed UC in the future there's no SDP paid with that.

You will also need to pay your own council tax but living alone you can still claim the single person discount.

The PIP isn't means tested so your savings won't affect that and it will just be a simple change of address, once you've moved.

Good luck with the move and i hope it goes well for you!
  • maggieomx
    So for example if i move sunday i fon dwp tuesday  what do i say ? I want to report a change of circumstances or do i say something else ???
    Very bad day today been to a funeral of my cousinx
  • maggieomx
    You are a patient star poppy
    Thankyou xx
  • poppy123456
    maggieomx said:
    You are a patient star poppy
    Thankyou xx
    Thank you! You're very welcome!! xx
  • maggieomx
    Your welcome poppy .
    When i move to wales the next day i fone DWP SO I DONT fully cancel my ESA what must i say to DWP on the fone ??
    not that i want to cancel my ESA claim ??
    What phrase would i.use  ??
  • poppy123456
    You need to tell them about your house sale and the money you have from that and how much. Tell them that you want to claim just for National insurance credits towards your state pension only. This will mean your ESA claim will remain open because of the credits you're receiving.
  • maggieomx
    Thankyou poppy x
  • maggieomx
    Hiya poppy just dug a esa letter out im on income related ESA SUPPORT GROUP ?
    IV NEVER WORKED FOR OVER 20 YEARS ?!
    Am i on right esa group ??
  • poppy123456
    Income related means that your savings will affect it and your money will stop.
  • maggieomx
    But iv not worked for iver 20 years ? Am i on right esa ?
  • poppy123456
    Yes, Contributions based is when you work and pay NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years before your claim started. Income related is means tested and household income/savings/capital affect this.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry if this is confusing but there are a few points that you really do need to get trained advice on

When you sell your property will the proceeds enable you to purchase your new property out right ie do you need to take a mortgage on your new home ?

It is normal when selling a property for the mortage on that property to be redeemed. If you have insufficient funds remaining to purchase your new home then you will need to take out a new mortgae on that property.

I believe that in this case the DWP will not raise a deprivation of capital, unlike if you had used savings to pay off your mortgage on your old home.

The ammount of capital / savings remaining is very important for the disregard that you may be able to get, which in turn can affect whether your benefit will stop or be reduced.

All cost of moving and  fees etc should be disregarded

Luxury items that you buy, if any will not count but if you need to pay for adaptations, decorating or furniture you may find that a CM will add this to your disregard.

I must stress that it is very important to get trained advice and help when talking to a CM about what can and cannot be considered
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    Yes, that's exactly why i keep advising maggie to get expert advice.
  • maggieomx
    Hiya can you explain question 3 and 4 to me please.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.