ESA assessment - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA assessment

124»

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    This is my opinion nly

If you sell your house, the price you get for it will firstly repay your mortgage if you have one. Then any fees will be deducted ie. solicitors and estate agents. Any balance remaining will then be transfered to you to purchase a new property.
    As an example

You sell your house for £200000
    You have an outstanding mortgage of £10000 which is paid out from the selling price
    This leaves you with £190000
    You then have to pay solicitors  and estate agent fees
    This may come to another £10000
    This is taken from the balance to leave you with £180000 with which to buy your new home
    You buy a new property for £160000 which is paid for out of the £180000 capital remaining
    This will leave you with £20000 in savings / capital
    You need to make adaptations to accomodate you condition, this might come to £5000 for ramps and handrails etc.
    As it is a new property, the decoration and modernisation may need to be redone to your taste, This is your forever home so you need to get it right a new kitchen and bathroom could be £10000
    This will now have reduced your capital/savings to around £5000 and you still have to replace some furniture

This is an example only which is why you need to get trained advice. What appear to be large sums of money can very quickly be be spent

I hope that helps
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • maggieomx
    maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    my new place will be paid outright from sale of my present property .

I owe £6800 on my present home this will also be paid off from the sale. Of my present home .
  • CockneyRebel
    OK
    So from the amount that you sell your property for ( as an example £2006800 )
    You will have a gross ballance of £200000 then you need to pay solicitors etc as above
    The net balance you now have will pay for your new property without getting a mortgage
    What is then left is capital for you to use to make your new property a suitable home, this amount or part of it could be be disregarded
  • maggieomx
    I have I have sold my house for £169,000 my new bungalow is £120,000 so roughly £49,000 left out of this il be paying £6,8000 I owe on my mortgage on my present home.
    roughly £42,000 left then fees and removal to be paid out of roughly £3,500 I think after everything’s paid there will be roughly £37,000 left ???? Then a few things to buy a new suite n carpet as lady had a dog ???
    this is roughly the mist of it ???
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Fees and removal costs are all part of the cost of selling your home, buying another and moving house. You're paying off your new home with the sale of your old home, so no mortgage and no deprivation of capital, in my opinion.

New carpet and suite and anything else you wish to buy is perfectly normal too.

The £30,000 plus will be classed as savings and exceeds the £16,000 limit form means tested benefits. As you previously said that your ESA is Income related, all payments for this will stop but you can continue to receive national insurance credits only towards your state pension. This way your ESA claim will remain open, instead of closing it completely.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    You can of course live off your remaining capital until it is depleted.
    However it is not unreasonable to use some of this to redecorate, replace dog smelling carpets etc.
    Without knowing the age of your new property it is hard to say whether a modernised kitchen and or bathroom should be contemplated. Arthritis is a horrible disease and you should take advice as to any adaptations that will help you plan for your future needs
  • maggieomx
    I think its built in 1950,s
    The only thing it rearly need is toilet n shower room knocking  into 1 room ?? Could i have that done 

• CockneyRebel
    As you are a cash buyer, did you have a full survey done ?

There are many posibilities that could help you in the future, this is why you must get trained advice. There is a limit to what we can advise on an open forum. It is your money and this is probably the one time that you will have to make your self as comfortable as possible going forward. Without wasting money you should be able to make your new property into the home you deserve, using the capital that you have released from the sale of your old home
  • maggieomx
    I will be buying  a bungalow( cost  £120.000) from the £198.000 selling this house im in now.
  • poppy123456
    I honestly think we've given as much advice as we can possibly given on an internet forum and you really should get expert advice going forward.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Hi all Hope your  all well 
    What conditions  satisfy long-term conditions  for ESA 
    Please 
  • maggieomx
    I honestly think we've given as much advice as we can possibly given on an internet forum and you really should get expert advice going forward.
    Poppy whats a CM ??
  • poppy123456
    hass said:
    Hi all Hope your  all well 
    What conditions  satisfy long-term conditions  for ESA 
    Please 
    Hi,

It's not as simple as that. There's 4 conditions you have to meet for future assessments to be turned off. Firstly it's only for those that are currently in the support group. More info here. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/october/guidance-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-published

• maggieomx
    What does CM stand for please ?
  • poppy123456
    maggieomx said:
    What does CM stand for please ?
    Case manager, someone that makes decisions for DWP.
  • maggieomx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.