had my assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

had my assessment

w1l5t3r
w1l5t3r Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Had my assessment on the 20/02/2019. The lady was very sympathetic and related to me with my problems and told me to take my time answering her questions. The interview lasted 70 minutes which I thought was an eternity. Got asked all the usual questions and she even suggested I contact occupational therapy for home adaptions/help. I was so nervous and dizzy throughout the interview mind went blank at times.

My conditions:

I have dizziness moment I wake up to the moment I close my eyes (Postural hypotension - Blood pressure)
Anxiety/Panic attacks
Mini stroke few years back

I can't leave the home due to this, i fall sometimes and have to walk slowly and steady myself. I panic if I am in a car with someone else driving and just want to go home. I can't shower/bath without help or a stool to sit on and need help getting in/out the bath and other day to day activities like cooking. I have to have meals made for me as I cant stand for more than a moment before i start swaying or feel like i am going to pass out. I also don't engage with other people as this stresses me out badly and have no social life at all due to the nature of this. I can't wash my legs or dress myself like putting on trousers/jeans and have to slip my boots on with laces undone all day long until bed time. Insomnia with scattered thoughts while the room spins is the bad part, I sleep only when exhausted and pass out. The medication does not help, it makes me worse and I am currently waiting 6 months for counselling. I hope I get help and support that is needed, but a constant worrier of what if this or that happens and I am back to square one stuck inside my home with no help or support. 

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of same/similar symptoms or conditions and what was the outcome. 

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can't compare 2 people when it comes to a PIP award and scoring points because we're all affected differently by these conditions and you don't get 2 people the same.

Did you attend the assessment alone or have someone with you?

When scoring points in the descriptors you will always score points for using/needing an aid if they think you can reasonably use one, rather than scoring points for needing assistance.  If you can't use an aid then you need show when you can't use one and what happened that last time you attempted to use an aid.

If you live in the UK wait until the end of next week and ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in the report. There will be boxes with dots/ticks, use the PIP descriptors online to compare them then add up the scores.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, now you have had your acessment you can request a copy of your acessment report and on receiving it about a week or so later you will be able to work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the official award letter. If when you receive your report and not happy with the report then you will have time to prepare for a MR using the report to submit examples of the descriptors you are contesting but you can only start a MR once you have received your award notification. The MR must be lodged within 30 days of receiving your award notification, which can be done by phone and must be followed up by a written request.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Please can you clarify timescale to ring for a copy of assessor's report. It used to be a few days. The sooner it is sent out the longer a claimant has to prepare for the MR if needed. 
  • poppy123456
    wildlife said:
    Please can you clarify timescale to ring for a copy of assessor's report. It used to be a few days. The sooner it is sent out the longer a claimant has to prepare for the MR if needed. 
    It depends how long it takes for the report to be returned to DWP. They won't send it out until both copies have been returned. Leave it about a week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • werock
    werock Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I have just completed the PIP process for the first time. I only had my decision last Friday!

If this helps: I received a text message from DWP when the report from my face to face consultation arrived with them. The DWP informed me at that stage it could take up to 6 weeks for them to make their final decision and send out a letter.

I haven’t seen mention of the existence of this text message in any of the literature about PIP so maybe this is a new thing?  
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    I've not heard of that either. @werock it doesn't sound like you asked for a copy of your assessor's report to be sent to you. But it's advisable to do this as then you can get an idea of what your reward will be but more important to check the assessor recorded your data to your satisfaction. Thanks Poppy don't want to interfere with the OP advice but similar circumstances as my son's assessment was 20th Feb. the day before.  
  • Guardian9622
    Guardian9622 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    I also had this text message two days after my f2f. That was 10 weeks ago and am still waiting . . .
  • werock
    Hi Wildlife, your absolutely right, I didn’t ask for a copy of the written report. For me, personally, I had to trust the process. I over analyse everything so it would have been excruciating for me to have it.

Guardian9622 you have my total empathy. If they also told you up to 6 weeks and your now at 10 weeks....have you been in touch with them since?
  • poppy123456
    If a mobile number is given on the form then it's standard procedure that they text you through out the claim process. They don't text you once a decision is made and they don't tell you the decision through a text message either.
  • Guardian9622
    Guardian9622 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    werock said:
    Hi Wildlife, your absolutely right, I didn’t ask for a copy of the written report. For me, personally, I had to trust the process. I over analyse everything so it would have been excruciating for me to have it.

Guardian9622 you have my total empathy. If they also told you up to 6 weeks and your now at 10 weeks....have you been in touch with them since?
    Yes. Rang them last Thursday and again today.
    Got told both times it's with the decision maker!
  • werock
    @Guardian9622 oh bummer. Well I wish you well anyway. Good luck @w1l5t3r sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.