Extended waiting time for PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extended waiting time for PIP decision

Fitznspatz
Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
I just wanted to share my wife’s PIP experience, maybe giving some hope to others in the system.

On November 13 2018 she had her face to face interview, about six weeks after completing the claim form. The assessor was attentive, listened carefully and seemed completely in touch with the circumstances. Prior to the interview Capita asked if my wife would like the assessment to take place at home. This offer was gratefully accepted.

We had hoped for a decision in early January, but nothing. Phoning the helpline just led to being told the claim was under consideration. Later in the month the assessor was asked to provide more information and this was received on January 28th. Today we received a letter saying the claim had been met.

In short it took just over 14 weeks from interview to receipt of the decision letter. The wait, especially recently, has been very anxious but all turned out well in the end

Comments

• Guardian9622
    Guardian9622 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    edited February 2019
    I'm on week 10 of my wait, so I hope it's not going to be 14+ weeks.
    I've needed this extra support since last June when I applied for a review of my claim :/ 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    He hello and welcome, did you request a copy of your acessment report, if not had you requested a copy of your acessment which would have arrived about 10 days once requested. On receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. Knowing what your award maybe and waiting for the official award letter can ease your anxiety levels.
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Thanks for your observations, Wilko.

Yes, we did consider getting a copy of the assessor’s report but if it looked negative then depression would have superseded anxiety. That’s worse. If it had been positive the anxiety would still have remained as we waited ... and waited ... for the official letter. 

On balance, not knowing but hoping, and praying, and trying to be diverted seemed a better option. I hope that works for you Guardian9622.

• Guardian9622
    Guardian9622 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Thanks for your observations, Wilko.

Yes, we did consider getting a copy of the assessor’s report but if it looked negative then depression would have superseded anxiety. That’s worse. If it had been positive the anxiety would still have remained as we waited ... and waited ... for the official letter. 

On balance, not knowing but hoping, and praying, and trying to be diverted seemed a better option. I hope that works for you Guardian9622.

I guess different people deal with the wait in different ways. Personally, although the HP "promised" there was nothing to worry about with my claim, I just wanted a head-start on preparing for any MR should it be required. As it stands, the assessor was true to her word, so I just hope the DM goes with her submitted report. Have a great day, and here's hoping. . .  :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.