Bronwen — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bronwen

Bronwen
Bronwen Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my name is Bronwen. I wonder if you could please help with the following: 
I was sent a letter from DWP asking me to contact them as they needed more information for a IS10 form.
When I contacted them I was advised that I might be eligible for Severe Disability Premium. I was shocked and surprised as I had just been through a really traumatic  P.I.P. Appeal Process which took 2 years to resolve. 
Why is this happening? Or even more to the point Why Now? I have been on Income Related E.S.A since 2011 and P.I.P since 2013, and before that D.L.A. 
I can't process all of this.
Thanks for any advice. I feel like I'm losing my mind, genuinely.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, it looks as if the DWP are about to update your payments to make sure you are being paid the correct benefits amount. I am sure one of the champions will correct me if I have wrongly posted .
  • Bronwen
    Thanks wilko. That would be nice if it happened. I will not count my chickens before they hatch though.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The IS10 form is the severe disability form. This is a disability premium paid to those that claim either DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living.  It's paid on top of Income related ESA/JSA and Income Support. To qualify for this you must live alone or be classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you. It's an extra £64.30 per week on top of your ESA from April 2018, less in previous years, if you qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bronwen
    edited February 2019
    Thank you Poppy123456.I was told today by a very pleasant and polite DWP gentleman on the phone that he would fill out the form for me and that I do in fact qualify and that it would take 6 days to process. To which I burst out laughing and asked is that a real time 6 days or a DWP 6 days. So because of that I didn't take it seriously. The horrendous dealings with the DWP on my  P.I.P case has left me very distrustful and still feel like this might be a scam.
  • anniesnooks
    anniesnooks Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    It really is not a scam as i get this extra payment. I knew nothing about it until the DWP phoned me and sorted it for me. From that first phone call to the first payment being in my bank was 1 week. 
  • Bronwen
    Fantastic to hear, thanks anniesnooks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Filling out the form over the phone does make the claim process faster. Even with filling out the form yourself it shouldn't take longer than about 3-4 weeks. Maybe 6 days is a little unrealistic in DWP standards lol. If you were entitled to it for all those years then the backdated money you'll receive will be huge so it could take a little longer than they predicted because of this reason.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.