Permitted Work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted Work

Currently I am getting ESA income related with Severe and Enhanced Disability Premium. I will be working for 16 hours a week and the salary is £7660 per annum. Will I lose all my benefits or will I face a reduction instead?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hi,

You need to get permission from DWP to do permitted work. You must also fill out a form called PW1. Permitted work must be under 16 hours per week and earn no more than £125.50 per week. Based on those hours with that salary then your ESA will stop.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vineetspurs78
    vineetspurs78 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Poppy: 

Does that mean the disability premiums will stop as well?

After making a couple of calls to ESA... they claim that my benefits won’t be stopped instead they will be reduced. 

So so I am confused.

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Yes, the premiums are paid on top of your ESA.  I'm not sure why you were told they would be reduced. Permitted work is under 16 hours per week and earning no more than £125.50 per week. Your salary alone takes you over that. Anything over this amount and your ESA will stop because it's not within the permitted work rules.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • vineetspurs78
    Thanks again Poppy. 

I have one more enquiry if you wouldn’t mind. 

I am in the process of getting my employer to meet the conditions of ‘permitted work’.. so I can keep my ESA.

Once the conditions are met.. do you know if my ESA will be kept at exactly the same amount or will it be reduced?

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    If your hours and pay fall within the permitted work rules then your ESA will continue, as it is now. The hours you do MUST be less than 16. You must get permission from DWP before starting working and you'll need to fill out a form.

However, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then they could either assess you early or it could go against you when you're nest re-assessed.
  • vineetspurs78
    Thanks a lot for the advice. Much appreciated and thanks for the warning.

Vineet
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.