How could social services improve for you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How could social services improve for you?

SophieW
SophieW Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2019 in Research and opportunities
Hi everyone,

Thank you for welcoming me into your online community :)

I'm a Social Work student and I'm currently trying to gain an insight into the lived experiences of adults with disabilities. In particular, I'd love to hear your view on whether adults with disabilities can equally access housing/work/shopping/exercise etc? I'd also be very interested to find out about your experiences with social services and how you think social services could improve to help you better?  

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Sophie

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SophieW, and all the best for your research!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SophieW welcome to the community! Does your research involve carers as well?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • SophieW
    Hi @Ami2301, thank you! Yes it does - I'm trying to get as much of an insight as possible so reaching out to all adults with disabilities, carers, family/friends and practitioners :) 
  • Ami2301
    I'm not a carer myself but I have had a poor experience being cared for by carers from social services. I am happy to speak about it if it helps your research :)
  • SophieW
    @Ami2301 it would be really useful to hear your experience, thank you! :)
  • Ami2301
    Upon discharge from a rehabilitation centre, I was due to have a carer every morning, every day. They never arrived on time, they were always late.

The first carer kept stroking my hair for no reason - I dont like being touched for no reason whatsoever. She then started complaining that there was not enough room to help wash certain areas - without sounding selfish, carers need to adapt to work in certain situations, yes our room is small but my family dont have any issues.

She then asked me what I could do myself, so I told her, I can wash my face, my upper body but struggle with my back and lower body. She then started washing my face so she completely ignored what I said.

2nd carer was bearable however she did not clean me thoroughly.

3rd carer dabbed areas with a flannel which resulted in my mum having to undress me again and clean me thoroughly, after the carer had gone. Again, she was another who complained there was no room.

The 4th carer, this is the worst one, may not seem like it to others but she really annoyed me. I had never met this woman before within a minute of entering the house, she was touching me for no reason whatsoever. She kept patting my leg or my arm. 

I sometimes use a standing aid, a Ross Return, to transfer and I had been using it for about 5 months so I knew what I was doing. When I stood up, the carer cheered as it was like a massive triumph, i just stared at her in disbelief. 

Once i was on the commode, over the toilet, before she left me to have some privacy, she was rubbing my leg. I was naked and I found this extremely inappropriate. I didn't want to open the door (its within reach from the toilet) because I didn't want her anywhere near me.

She also did not clean me thoroughly. She kept touching my back while I was washing myself and I just wanted to scream at her.

When I saw my mum, once I was took back into the living room, I mouthed to her, "I can't take anymore". She couldnt reply but she acknowledged what I had said.

Getting dressed, the carer kept saying to me, "oh gosh, you've been through so much" in such a patronising tone and stroking my legs, to which I bluntly replied to her comment, "yeah, its fine".

As soon as I was dressed she stopped touching me.

Carers need to respect that some of us do have the ability to understand what is going on. We should be treated with dignity and respect, not like a child. And the touching? That needs to stop, full stop! It is inappropriate when it's for no reason. If I was upset then yeah I would understand people putting their hand on my shoulder.

Carers are supposed to help take pressure off families but in my experience, they just created more work for my mum and partner to do.

I hope and pray others have a much better experience.

I sincerely apologise that this turned out to be a rant but it is incredibly difficult to talk about it without getting angry about it.
  • ebeneee
    ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    Hi @Sophie W,
    Years ago when i was able to work, i was a care home manager i tried my best to make sure that the client in the home was supported to their needs, i met up with the social workers and clients on a regular basis to ensure that the clients needs were met and their goals were achieved, the support staff and i  were winning the clients to achieve, at the time Social services were more involved with the clients and their well being, this also went for clients who lived independently in their own homes, i am no longer able to work due to complex medical issues and now i am a client, who need support from the social services cut backs on clients budget to support clients with personal care, to supporting in the community to access day centres you are blessed if family are there support you in your home, ive seen it on both sides if you havent got anyone to speak up for you like family or and advocate, you can get lost in the system, its like no one cares anymore for individuals who are elderly have invisable disability physical disability or individuals who have mental health issues.
  • SophieW
    Hi @Ami2301 and @ebeneee
    Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond in such detail - your insight has been invaluable. I really appreciate you being so open about your experiences and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had better experiences with social services!
  • Ami2301
    It's the first chance I have had to really open up about it so thank you!
  • SophieW
    It's my pleasure - sometimes talking about things is the best therapy! I'm glad I've been of some use to you as you've helped me very much :) 
  • ebeneee
    ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    Thank you@ Sophie W for response, ive seen changes...not for the better either.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.