PIP changes in law letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP changes in law letter

Kas854
Kas854 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey everyone,

I just had my face 2 face PIP renewal on December 2018 and was awarded enhanced on both components. From 24/1/2019 to 22/1/2022.

I suffer from PTSD, Severe mental health issues, heart problems, spinal problems, rare skin disease, Chrons disease, arthritis, Incontinence. 

I got a changes in PIP law letter in today stating one month after my accessment that I was now to recieve 58.70 for daily living and 61.70 for mobility. From 2/11/2017 - 14/11/2019.

As I am sure you are questioning "The dates" how can they award me the above amounts over this time frame when a renewal decision was made less than 5 weeks ago.

This can't be right surely. Any advice?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Sometimes they have a very strange way of wording letters. You say your PIP renewal, what award did you have before the renewal?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kas854
    Hey Poppy :)

I had standard living rate and enhanced rate mobility before my renewal. 

My new enhanced for both was made last month and changes in law letter was recieved this month 5 weeks after the new renewal.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    The changes in law were for the following and planning a journey and they are reviewing everyone's claim from a certain date. As you already had Enhanced mobility then you can't be awarded any higher than that. I don't know why it's dated only until 14/11/19 as that doesn't make sense.

All you can do is ring DWP Monday and ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kas854
    Hey Poppy :) 

Its completely threw me for a loop as my mobility has always been enhanced as my conditions mentally and physically have been onto going for years.

I think they've cross lettered or mixed someone else's claim up with mine. Typical PIP nothings ever straight forward.

Thank you so much for the replies I'll definitely be calling Monday
  • sparkle22
    sparkle22 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Do you mind if I ask what date you origionally claimed as they are reviewing claims chronologically so I'm just wondering where they are up to?
  • Kas854
    edited February 2019
    Hey Sparkle  :)

Original PIP claim ever made was back on 10/1/2016. Decision was made 28/1/2016. Renewal was 1/11/2018, decision made for renewal was 24/1/2019.  And then change of law letter was today
  • sparkle22
    Oh wow that first one was a super quick decision!.
    thanks very much for the information, it looks like I have a while to wait yet, my claim was Sept 2016,  face to face and decision Jan 2017. 
  • Kas854

Decision was paper based which I have heard is quite rare for the first time application of PIP. Last one was F2F which I actually prefer i know most find it daunting I think they judge better at the F2F than going off paper based. Mainly they get to see how my mobility is affected instead of guessing.

• sparkle22
    No I totally understand. I have quite severe anxiety and I dream of a paper based review but I know that if it happened I probably wouldn't get awarded, as I have little medical evidence. 
  • Kas854

Took me 3 years after attending the doctor and mental health team consistently for a paper based assessment. Only seems after repeated "Pushing" does evidence hold enough sway. Which is ridiculous considering most people suffering from mental health conditions struggle to even go outside their front door, never mind chase evidence. 

Atos and DWP cause more stress than what is needed to genuine claimants. 
  • Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    I agree they add to the stress and anxiety issues of genuine disabled people and they made me feel like they didn't believe me at first but I appealed against their decision and finally won my case on a telephone tribunal from them in the court and I was prepared with all the paperwork and the DWP representative only had 1 question for me and then after I answered they granted my award and backdated everything. But the stress leading up to the tribunal was unbelievable and unnecessary in my honest opinion,  good luck xx
  • Kas854
    Hey Angie :)

I've never had to take any of my claims to tribunal thank god. Its disgusting how they treat disability overall.

I don't claim ESA and I still hold part-time work from home down even with all my illnesses. 

Even ESA assessments in which I've supported a friend of mine during the way she was treated even for ESA was downright shocking.

Government need to wise up and start treating people with respect. Do they honestly believe people enjoy being on benefits? No. At least not genuine claimants. 

At some point even those who work in the businesses such as ATOS, SSA and government bodies will eventually have to claim some form of benefit. Respect costs this country nothing and compassion is lacking in the system. 
  • sparkle22
    They definitely do cause unnecessary stress and anxiety. Its difficult as well because I find going to the GP or appointments so stressful so I avoid as much as possible, so therefore have little evidence. I do have a psychiatrist now that I pay privately and I'm having long term psycotherapy through IAPT, so its isnt just my word this time when I get reviewed, but even so, its hard when I feel so anxious and literally at the point that I cannot take anymore stress, and then have to go through a review. The problem with me though is I'm a fighter so I cant give up. So if I ever was refused, I'd get to that tribunal somehow, I'd stand (well sit because I'd fall over) there crying, shaking and sweating, unable to speak because my teeth are chattering so much, not from cold but from a kind of shock I go into when the stress gets too much, and show them 'anxiety'. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that actually has the physical outward symptoms, because people feel as bad as I do and its invisible, so they're not believed. But the fact that it could ever come to that, is humiliating really. You wouldn't put a dog through that kind of treatment, yet its ok to push a disabled mentally ill person that far. 
  • Kas854
    Just a quick update. Apparently it was a "Crisscross" letter that was sent before my renewal was granted. 

Mainly PIP saying that my previous award at the time was the right amount given.

• Sankay
    Sankay Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Yes I agree the whole assesment system causes undue stress for people who are already suffering. Having to go over your problems again & again, having to justify your problems just makes them worse. People who are ill need support not having to feel their every move is being judged. Thanks to having to go through all this yet again, winning appeals(which I have every time) to have to go through assements again just months later and start the whole prosses yet again, & living off reduced benifit in the months it takes to get to the appeal stage. I get back pay but that all goes on paying of debt I have accumulated while waiting for the appeal, which is usually during the winter months (I even had to borrow money off my autistic son so we could have the heating on for a couple of hours a day) The latest 'assessment' is peppered with misrepresentations & dam out right lies(I have put in a complaint) after having a breakdown last week after reading the report my doctor has put me back on medication that I have spent the last year trying to come off. I have been trying alternative theroies & am quite a spiritual person & into mindfulness. I have a part time job teaching this but I feel like this last round of forms & assesments  has finally broken me. In my work I am also seeing so many people in the same possition. It is no wonder there are so many now suffering with invisible mental health problems & sadly most haven't got the strength to fight this or know how or where to go to get help & support. Plus the angancys that are there to help are so over run they cant get to everyone that need them. I know there is a problem with people miss using the system(they are fine and know how to play the game!) But for the genuine people are made to suffer
  • Kas854
    Hey Sankay :)

I completely agree with you. I worked all my life and unfortunately with cancer and spinal damage it more or less has done me in slowly but surely.

I am a stubborn git I give them as good back. No person should be made feel inhumane because of their physical or mental state.

Full respect to you for keeping a wee job. I have all the time in the world for gineune people. Even those whose illnesses has taken their ability to work I still respect.

See people who play the system they take away from people who actually need the help of the system. 
  • Sankay
    Sankay Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi Kas854
    Yes it is awful from what I have seen & exsperianced my self everyone is treated like a fraud. When you have worked & been honest all your life, not being able to work anymore is a bad enough blow, just to get into a system that treats you like a criminal can be devestating. Not only are you battling your health problem be you have to defend you very character as well. Thankfully I have a wonderful supportive family, great feed back from my clients & my health professionals  (whos supporting information seem to never seem to be taken into consideration) all assure me I am not the person these 'reports' are painting me to be. It has really hit me hard & got to the stage last week that I really felt I have no energy to go on any more. I didnt have have mental health problems before but I now have bad attacks of IBS & constant migraines which I now told are triggered by anxiety. Ive had major facial reconstuction due to cancer, both hips replaced, arthritis in most of my joint,life long thyroid problem & raised my autistic son who is now taking a degree in Machanical Engineering which I have taken all in my stride. But the benifit system is they only thing that has brought me to breaking point!  So I really feel for everyone having to go through this especially for people already struggling & don't have the coping strategys or support that I am lucky to have

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.