Awarded nothing for mobility - What should I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded nothing for mobility - What should I do?

Options
steve34
steve34 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone,  I'm new to this forum and would appreciate what people think about my difficulties with pip for my wife. 
She has schizophrenia, paranoia, deppresion, osteoarthritis and a few more minor ailments. She has always qualified for dla and was successfully transferred to pip via a face to face interview with a representative from capita. Her health deteriorated last year with the worsening of osteoarthritis. We completed the form and atos insisted on a face to face interview at our home. After the interview we find that she has retained the lower rate care component but she has not been awarded anything for mobility. Is this common and what should I do.
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @Steve

Welcome and thank you for sharing.

I believe that you can appeal the decision. Scope has some information on Appealing a DWP benefits decision

It is also well worth a trip if possible  to your local Citizens Advice (CAB). You may also find our PIP discussions useful.

Do keep us updated.

• steve34
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I am not very good with this so i hope you will be patient. She was awarded standard care and standard/lower rate mobility when she changed from Dla to pip following an assessment by capita. She has now been assessed by atos and had her mobility component removed after reporting a worsening of her osteoarthritis. Her mental health is bad but constant. Can the dwp do that?
    Thanks 
  • steve34
    Options
    Hi
    Just been looking at it a bit more, trying to understand how it works. Does totally unable to function due to opd apply to lower or just the enhanced rate. Sorry if I'm miss reading things.
    Thanks
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    Options
    Can you appeal the decision or not? Without further relevant information I am unable to tell you what exactly you can get.
    How long can she walk safely for? My suggestion is to use a self assessment to first identify the nature of her disability. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.