Been changed from support group to work related group after health assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Been changed from support group to work related group after health assessment

lg1982
lg1982 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
my partner went for his health assessment three weeks ago we got at letter today saying they are changing him from the support group to work related group . 

I phoned them them today and asked how many point he was awarded and the Heath professional awarded him 15 point  . When I asked so why he been changed to the work related group then they could answer my question and hung the phone up. 

We are now going to be £160 a mouth short What Can we do to get him put back on the support group . I thought if others health assessment awarded you the point the. Nothing should change so how can they do this 

any advice would be appreciated 

Comments

• clivelate
    clivelate Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Hi, scoring 15 points wont get you opn the support group on its own, you have to score 15 points on a few selected questions, to get on the support group.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Being placed into the support group isn't about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least on of the support group descriptors the majority of the time. This is a new decision so it overrules the previous decision.

May i ask why you're going to be £160 per month worse off? Did he start his claim for ESA before or after April 2017? Do you claim ESA as a couple?

If he disagrees with the decision then the next step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) and he has 28 days from the date of the decision to request this. He should put the request in writing stating why he thinks he should be placed into the support group.
    Support group descriptors here.

Reg 35 here.

It would be worth knowing the reasons why he was previously placed into the support group on the last decision.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Hello lg they hung up on you that's a fine way to treat a loved one isn't it . 
  • Matthewsheehy24
    Matthewsheehy24 Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    They have been taking £160 of my money every month for the last 14 months are they suppose to be taking it of me.I was in support group after 12 months the dwp decided to put me in wrag.Thats when my money went down.Is that right what the dwp have done waiting to go to tribunal now so another how many months with my money reduced.
  • poppy123456
    clivelate said:
    Hi, scoring 15 points wont get you opn the support group on its own, you have to score 15 points on a few selected questions, to get on the support group.
    Sorry, but this isn't correct. See my explanation above for the criteria for the support group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lg1982
    hi thank you for your replies he has been on ESA for many years and have always been the the support group. 
  • lg1982
    Hi poppy123456

iv just had a quick look at the link and he dose have loss of control over his bowles or bladder at least 2/3 times a week . And was awarded points on this 
  • Matthewsheehy24
    Lg1982 it’s the way the dwp are treating every one.Have a look at other forums on this website and you will see you are not alone.You just got to be up for a battle and don’t let the dwp win that’s what they want.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    The only way you can get something done about this is to see your MP, that is the only way you can get any answers from the DWP.

They won't hang up on you again.  :)
  • poppy123456
    lg1982 said:
    Hi poppy123456

iv just had a quick look at the link and he dose have loss of control over his bowles or bladder at least 2/3 times a week . And was awarded points on this 
    It must be extensive evacuation the majority of the time, sufficient to requiring cleaning and changing of clothes, otherwise it won't be support group entry.
  • Benistmonk
    edited February 2019
    That is right Poppy, they don't give a monkeys how many times you [removed by moderator] yourself, they only want to know how often you need to change your clothes if you  [removed by moderator] yourself. Which is about as insane as it gets, if you [removed by moderator]  your pants, you need to change them, simple as that.

The HCP and DWP think you might  [removed by moderator] yourself 10 times before it occurs to you to change your pants, or maybe they think you can wear pants full of [removed by moderator]  for a whole week before you need to change them.

How often you change your clothes is none of their damn business, they should not ask such embarrassing questions. 

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Benistmonk

We appreciate you contribution to the post. But please be aware of the tone and language you use on the community. Thank you.
  • Benistmonk
    If telling it like it is sounds a bit rough, you can always gag me, ban me, whatever. People at WCA are subjected to disgusting questions about their personal hygiene and what end it comes out of and if they change their clothes. You can't sugarcoat reality like that. 
  • clivelate
    clivelate said:
    Sorry, but this isn't correct. See my explanation above for the criteria for the support group.

Hello Poppy, i don't feel the answer i gave is incorrect at all, yes there is section 35, but the op, was making the point that they scored 15 points, the fact they scored 15 points in itself is not  going to mean they are in the support group, it has to be on a select few questions, and the 15 points has to be from just one question, adding points from different questions is not going to be in the support group,so i don't feel the advice i gave is wrong at all, unless there has been some changes recently, in any regulations for ESA support group.

thanks

• Matthewsheehy24
    poppy123456 is pretty well spot on what advice she gives.I scored 18 points and was kept in wrag.When poppy 123456 explained to me over the forum I understood it then.She gives really good advice and she knows how the benefits system works.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Benistmonk thank you for your reply. I understand the questions asked can be uncomfortable but please be careful with the language used.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us on: community@scope.org.uk

Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    clivelate said:
    clivelate said:

Hello Poppy, i don't feel the answer i gave is incorrect at all, yes there is section 35, but the op, was making the point that they scored 15 points, the fact they scored 15 points in itself is not  going to mean they are in the support group, it has to be on a select few questions, and the 15 points has to be from just one question, adding points from different questions is not going to be in the support group,so i don't feel the advice i gave is wrong at all, unless there has been some changes recently, in any regulations for ESA support group.

thanks

I'm sorry but that's not correct. Being placed into the support group you need to satisfy just 1 of the descriptors the majority of the time. It's not scoring 15 points on a few questions. Please see the link to verify what i advised is correct.

Taken from the above link.
    Qualifying for the support group of employment and support allowance (ESA)is not about scoring points.  Instead, if the decision maker accepts that any of the following descriptors apply to you, then you will be placed in the support group.

• clivelate
    clivelate said:
    clivelate said:

thanks

I'm sorry but that's not correct. Being placed into the support group you need to satisfy just 1 of the descriptors the majority of the time. It's not scoring 15 points on a few questions. Please see the link to verify what i advised is correct.

Taken from the above link.
    Qualifying for the support group of employment and support allowance (ESA)is not about scoring points.  Instead, if the decision maker accepts that any of the following descriptors apply to you, then you will be placed in the support group.

Hi, but this is what i said, scoring 15 points in its self is not enough to get onto the support group, if the points are added up from different questions.

The link you posted, i agree is correct, hence why i said scoring 15 points on certain questions only will get you on the support grou, needs to be on one question and from certain questions,you could get 26 points and you may still not be on the support group

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.