DWP assessment, not being able to attend. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP assessment, not being able to attend.

clare_1
clare_1 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
Hello all.

So I have a problem and I'm unsure of what can be done or do.
In October I had to get someone to fill out a Capability of work form because I'm unable to write. It stated on the form a home visit is requested.
I haven't heard anything back about the form until Saturday 23rd that DWP wants me to attend a face to face on the 13th March.
My mum has rang ( because I have trouble speaking) to say about the home visit. The lady said I need to get the doctor to fill a FME form out.
 Mum rang the doctor and they said we don't fax the forms over, i have to pick up the form and fill it in then the doctor has to sign it, that it will cost £25 for the form and it will take a month to be pressed.
We rang back up DWP and the lady very rudely said well you have to get back in touch with your doctor and say you need it done and sent asap and that if I dont get it done I will have to attend the appointment in person.
What I dont get is, the letter was received Saturday and I have 2 weeks and 5 days to get form done from the doctor. But I have already stated that I need a home visit on the forms I fill out in October last year. It's very unfair timeline to get things sorted.

I'm currently waiting an MRI for a suspected very large disc protrusion and other thing in neck, my meds are being changed to Morphine and currently in bed all he time due to pain, I'm unable to drive atm, I have social anxiety, I can only get in the car with people I know and they unable to take me, I dont go out (only to appointments), I have other medical problems also.

I would be grateful to know where I stand because on the letter it says if your unable to attend please call but they didn't give us a chance to say waiting for MRI ect. What happens if i cant make this one appointment arranged, is missing one allowed?

Thank anyone in advance for help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

They will need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why a home assessment is needed. Usually they will only agree to a home assessment without a letter from your GP if the evidence you sent proves that one is needed.

A letter from your GP doesn't guarantee a home assessment and if you attend other appointments then they could refuse based on you attending those appointments. They could possibly turn around and tell you that if you can attend other appointments then you can attend the assessment centre. It has been known to happen.

If you can't get the letter from your GP before your appointment then you can cancel the appointment but you can only do this once. You must attend the next appointment they give you. Failing to attend your file will be returned to DWP and you'll be found fit for work for failing to attend.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Yep, that is is your best bet. Say you can't make the current appointment time and date for medical reasons, you need time to get a doctors letter, they should give you a new appointment. 

• clare_1
    Thank you for your reply.

I had to have a meeting at the jobcentre October 23rd last year  I gave in even more evidence of operations and other things and then they sent a Capability of work questionnaire out and I got it filled out 30th October last year.
    Then Saturday as stated I get the assessment appointment through.

When I filled the form out last year i didn't know what is now expected of my neck and that I need an MRI and how much more my health would be affected.

Thank you for your advice, it is good to know I can ring and not attend this one appointment. I have never missed oppointments before, so didn't know what would happen. 
    Is it right that they will send me out a BF223 form to fill in and if they find it acceptable they will then arrange an other appointment?

• Benistmonk
    I don't know anything about a BF223 form, when I got my appointment letter, I phoned them up and said the appointment time was too early, 9.00am, the assessment centre was miles away. They gave me a new appointment date at a later time without question.
  • clare_1
    Benistmonk thank you for reply.
    I just read about the form online and want sure, so thought I would ask just incase looking at wrong thing.

Was the appointments far apart from previous one, when got rearranged? 

Just trying to work out if my MRI would have been done, tests would be back and doctors letter would be done before next one gets sent out.
  • Benistmonk
    I can't remember exactly, it was about 2 or 3 weeks later I had to attend the rearranged appointment, then when I got to the assessment centre and a nurse walked in, didn't want that, so I asked to be seen by a doctor, that took another 2 weeks to rearrange. If you explain to them why you need a later appointment date, I can't see why they wouldn't agree to it.

Best to phone up about 3 or 4 days before you have to attend, then they can sort it for you.

• clare_1
    Thank you for answering again to me, I really appreciate it.

It is so frustrating when they put someone in to interview you who isn't trained in your problems that you put down on your forms and then try say your fit for work. (Talking to a brick wall comes to mind)

What I dont get it is, I've had two operations last year among two other hospitalizations, sent evidance of that all in October.
     My claim runs out soon so will then have to go through an other face to face and start from begining. Just crazy how it all works and how much money they waste on people who has all the medical paperwork to back up your claims.

Any how, thank you once agsin

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    clare_1 said:

My claim runs out soon so will then have to go through an other face to face and start from begining.

ESA is ongoing, unless you're claiming Contributions based in the WRAG/assessment rate and then it's paid for 365 days. Otherwise, it will only end if you're found fit for work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clare_1
    Yeah that makes sense now. Thank you Poppy for relying.

I should have in high insight fought even more when they made the dission to put me in work base meetings. I just took what was offered.
    Just hadn't long fought to get PIP sorted through courts, that thankfully I got enhanced for both.
    It just takes so much out of you when your so poorly, as many would have experienced.

After 4 years of having to do this you think I would be more clued up on things by now.
    I'm Just so grateful for this site and all the help, support and own experiences everyone has to offer
  • Benistmonk
    Your welcome.  :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.