User — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

User

User
User Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I am seeking advice about whether my EESA and other benefits can be transferred from where I currently reside in England to another area.  I want to move north to Scotland from England but not sure if it's possible.  Is there a way to do this? 
Advice much appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A few questions to be able to help you. Do you claim the severe disability premium in with your ESA because you claim daily living PIP or mid/high rate care DLA and you live alone, or classed as living alone?

Do you need to claim housing benefit for help with your rent when you move?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • User
    It's some time since I was assessed but as far as I remember I was on DLA, then ESA, then I was put on EESA.  No other living benefits like PIP etc. 
    This is concerning mental health, not physical.  
    I would need HB for the rent. 

Many thanks Poppy. 
  • User
    I live alone by the way
  • poppy123456
    It wouldn't have been DLA then ESA because they're totally different benefits.

As you're not claiming a disability benefit like DLA or PIP then you won't be claiming the SDP in with your ESA. This means because all areas are now a full UC area then if you move to a different local council then you'll need to claim UC because you won't be able to claim housing benefit.

When you claim UC then your ESA will stop and that will be transferred to UC. Which ever group you're in for ESA DWP will place you in the relevant group for UC BUT this can take a couple of weeks because ESA need to send your details to UC.

There's at least a 5 week wait for your first payment when you claim UC and after that you'll receive your money monthly.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • User
    UC is Universal Credit? SDP I don't know.
    So a transfer can happen of ESA to UC without losing money or being assessed by doctor etc? 

Many thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes UC us Universal credit. SDP as advised in my first comment is severe disability premium but because you don't claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you won't be claiming this extra premium in with your ESA.

DWP will place in in the relevant group for UC, so if you're in the WRAG then it will be limited capability for work (LCW) or support group will be limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) They can of course assess you at anytime for UC which is exactly the same for ESA.

How much UC you would be entitled to will depend on circumstances. At this point it would be useful to put all your details into a benefits calculator. They are very accurate but that's only if you put your details in correctly.

UC elements are here.

• User
    UC rates are a lot less than what I'm getting 
  • poppy123456
    Which group are you in for ESA and are you under 25 or over?
  • User
    Not sure which group.  It's EESA I am on. I'm 60+
  • poppy123456
    It's not EESA, that's just what they use when you receive payment into your bank. It's ESA. You'll need to find out which group you're in and then you can complete the benefit calculator correctly. You can't complete that without knowing what group you're in because there's different elements to UC.

I'd advise you to speak to your local CAB or other advice centre for a benefits check before you move house but you'll definitely need to claim UC.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.