Mental health with physical disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health with physical disabilities

Options
CARL58
CARL58 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
Just received my esa assessment form.ive suffered for over 20yrs with mental health, PTSD.and everything that goes with it.have a brain injury.epilepsy.also severe osteoarthritis.where I can't stand or sit I have to lay down to get any form of pain relief.cant walk without support more than 1 to 2 metres.hospital won't operate on my hip as my epilepsy isn't under control.but yesterday I started with flashbacks. Worst I've had for a while also my seizures started more than normal..all because of this esa assessment form.its already stressing me out.im not able to deal with pressure or change.im not a strong person since my brain injury.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @CARL58 Please can I ask are you receiving any help with your mental health. Any support?

Have you spoken to your Doctor what is happening to you. Might be worth a visit.

I have mental health issues and have been there with these forms.  If I am not too good need to speak to the Doctor.

I do understand this can be difficult and not easy to do some times, do not wish to bother the Doctor . 

I am a proud gent but thought need to do this.

I had this at January glad I did and did bother the Doctor if my mental health is getting worse.

Just something to consider.

Please can I also add speaking to your GP can also maybe signpost you to some support.  With your forms such as CAB.

I am like yourself get stressed, anxious doing forms so use CAB.  They have wealth of expertise and knowledge. Make an appointment if that is possible.

I read you have problems walking . Do you have a friend who could take you or assist you in completing the form, just a suggestion.

I would also try to get some support for your mental health issues.

I use mental health charities used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Can help with wellbeing and welfare also benefits.  Something I hope might interest you.

I had assistance from floating support workers who helped.

Wish you the best. Always here if I can be supportive, help with anything.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CARL58
    CARL58 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you thespiceman I've a lady friend I've known for 10yrs who helps and will fill the ESA form out for me with some help from me as my writing unreadable since my brain injury I can't even read my writing it's a mess.my gp visits me at home.im on 26 tablet's aday also morphine patch for severe pain.its hard because no man can come near me only females.so I've female gp,nurse, female chiropodist ,home eye tests have to be female.i hope you can work out why I don't want to go into why to deep makes me ill you take care too.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @CARL58 Thank you for sharing with me. I do understand.

I know it is taking every day small steps and the options, choices are yours.  We as community champions are here to guide just advise and support whenever you wish to.

One of the reasons I gave you the links to the mental health charity I used it is there if you need it.  

Also please if you wish to talk or need to ask for anything we as a community can advise on.

Please contact the community.  Glad to help.

You take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.