what benefits would I be entitled to? oesteoarthritis and oesteoporosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what benefits would I be entitled to? oesteoarthritis and oesteoporosis

OLIVEoil
OLIVEoil Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I have oesteoarthritis and oesteoporosis in my spine,also oesteoarthritis in my toes,knees,hands fingers and thumbsalso in my hips.I wondered if I was finished off from work what benefits would I be entitled to and my knee is very weak to the point I keep falling.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

First you need to look at claiming SSP from your employer and this is paid for 28 weeks with a fit note from your GP.

Once that has ended if you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim New style ESA. This isn't means tested and household income/savings or capital won't affect it. It's £73.10 per week and you'll need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim it.

For anything else i'd advise you to visit a local advice agency near you for a full benefits check because claiming means tested benefits will depend on circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    OLIVEoil said:
    Hi I have oesteoarthritis and oesteoporosis in my spine,also oesteoarthritis in my toes,knees,hands fingers and thumbsalso in my hips.I wondered if I was finished off from work what benefits would I be entitled to and my knee is very weak to the point I keep falling.
    Hi OLIVEoil… Most people are means tested in terms of the rate of DWP Personal Independence Payment that I would consider you'd be entitled to. ESA (Employment Support Allowance) could also apply to you, though this may now fall under the 'dreaded' Universal Credit. 

I 'think' that this site (SCOPE) has a Benefits page and calculator available which would tell you more than I could. It would certainly be a good idea for you to take a look at it...

Also, any benefit 'could be' affected if you just simply gave-up working and made yourself unemployed, however if you cannot work due to your illnesses & disabilities then please don't struggle trying to, would be my best advice...

Take care, Rodders. 
  • OLIVEoil
    OLIVEoil Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thank you both for your help,I'm asking as I'm on the sick at mo and I have feeling theyare going to finish me due to ill health.
  • Roddy
    OLIVEoil said:
    Hi thank you both for your help,I'm asking as I'm on the sick at mo and I have feeling theyare going to finish me due to ill health.
    It's easy for me to say, but try not to worry. Help is out there, I assure you. 
  • SHEILAASH
    SHEILAASH Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I was getting help from the e.s.a towards my housing maintenance costs I live on a caravan park. I have been told  I was not entitled to Get this payments as I was claiming housing benefit. Housing benefit day they only help with the ground rent not the maintenance costs. The e.s.a have back dated this payments from 2016. And say I owe them £3,000.
    Am I entitled to claim my maintenance costs from the esa?
  • poppy123456
    SHEILAASH said:
    I was getting help from the e.s.a towards my housing maintenance costs I live on a caravan park. I have been told  I was not entitled to Get this payments as I was claiming housing benefit. Housing benefit day they only help with the ground rent not the maintenance costs. The e.s.a have back dated this payments from 2016. And say I owe them £3,000.
    Am I entitled to claim my maintenance costs from the esa?
    You can't claim maintenance costs from an ESA claim it's impossible. You need to get expert advice from an advice centre near you, then you'll be able to show them all your paper work and they'll be able to give you the correct advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SHEILAASH
    I suffer from agoraphobia I have been trying to Get various agencies c.a.b. etc. But every one I have tried and there has been many say they don't do home visits. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do.
  • SHEILAASH
    I suffer from agoraphobia have been trying to get various agencies can act their has been many I have tried to get a home visit from a number of them but receive same reply I am very scared and confused don't know what else to do. This has got me into so much debt
    I don't know what else to do apart from killing myself I can't live like this any longer. The esa advisor is horrible to me and will not listen to my complaint she refused to change her decision . I genuinely did not know about this payments and why did it take them over 2years before they realised.my only hope now is wait for the tribunal to make a decision. Which I am unable to attend due to my illness.Please can you advise me
    Regards
    Sheila
  • poppy123456
    If you're feeling suicidal you can ring the samaritans https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

I'm sorry but i don't know what you mean by maintenance costs with your ESA because ESA doesn't cover this.

Do you claim ESA or universal credit? Do you rent or own your own home? and do you live alone or with a partner?

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SHEILAASH,

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

We have some brilliant members and advisors here on the community who will do their best to help, so please do tell us some more. I know the system can feel really overwhelming, but you're among people who understand here, and they will do their best to advise.

• Roddy
    SHEILAASH said:
    I suffer from agoraphobia have been trying to get various agencies can act their has been many I have tried to get a home visit from a number of them but receive same reply I am very scared and confused don't know what else to do. This has got me into so much debt
    I don't know what else to do apart from killing myself I can't live like this any longer. The esa advisor is horrible to me and will not listen to my complaint she refused to change her decision . I genuinely did not know about this payments and why did it take them over 2years before they realised.my only hope now is wait for the tribunal to make a decision. Which I am unable to attend due to my illness.Please can you advise me
    Regards
    Sheila
    @SHEILAASH
    Hello Sheila, PLEASE understand that that you are not alone and that there are people that can help you and assist you as best able they can... There are also people that will visit you at home and will do everything possible at their disposal... Above all, they will listen to you and will take everything step by step in a friendly and appropriate way... May I kindly suggest that you make just TWO telephone calls as soon as is possible for you: 1. The Samaritans. Their contact telephone number can be found on this link: https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us  speak to them openly and without any embarrassment as they will listen for as long as you want them to, and will help.   2. Your local Dr/GP. Tell the Receptionist (or Your Doctor) that it is a matter of urgency. Ask them to contact Adult Social Services. Ask them to call you back as soon as they have done so. 

Once you have made these telephone calls, not only will you feel that you have achieved what you've been hoping for, but the right help will now be set in place. Please don't expect immediate answers to all of your problems overnight, but rest in the knowledge that things will be solved & resolved by those that can... 

PLEASE do this for me, and once you fell like it please also let me know how much better you feel. I am online most days and nights and will receive any 'prompt' that Scope sends... Thank You.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.