Why have I been asked to attend a WCA ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why have I been asked to attend a WCA ?

eric144
eric144 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
I only claimed UC because I was refused (higher level) ESA in November following a WCA. I have a fit note from a doctor to cover me while the appeal process continues. What is the purpose of this WCA ? What more can they do to me ?

The only effect I can see would be to sabotage a successful appeal. Would they be that cynical ?

This is making me ill and I'm thinking of quitting benefits. I have two years to retirement.

Thanks again.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're sending in fit/sick notes then your work coach has referred you for a WCA. It's standard procedure and you must attend the assessment. Did you send evidence to support your claim when you returned the work capability assessment form? |They very rarely contact anyone for evidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • eric144
    I haven't filled in the form yet. Obviously they don't trust doctors is the clear conclusion to be drawn from this 'procedure'.
  • eric144
    Hi,

As you're sending in fit/sick notes then your work coach has referred you for a WCA. It's standard procedure and you must attend the assessment. Did you send evidence to support your claim when you returned the work capability assessment form? |They very rarely contact anyone for evidence.
    Thanks, BTW. 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2019
    no problem.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    eric144,
    I agree with Poppy. UC often reassess people, whether or not they have a current limited capability for work decision. You should still continue with your appeal.

Hopefully your work coach will agree that you should not have to look for work during this process.

If the assessment leads to a decision that you do not have limited capability for work but you win the appeal against the earlier ESA decision, you can ask the DWP to look at your UC limited capability for work decision again, and argue that they would have made that decision differently if they'd known about the appeal result at the time. Do ask for further advice if you need it as things develop.

At the moment though, we can only wait to see what happens. I hope it all works out.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• eric144
    edited March 2019
    eric144,
    I agree with Poppy. UC often reassess people, whether or not they have a current limited capability for work decision. You should still continue with your appeal.

Hopefully your work coach will agree that you should not have to look for work during this process.

If the assessment leads to a decision that you do not have limited capability for work but you win the appeal against the earlier ESA decision, you can ask the DWP to look at your UC limited capability for work decision again, and argue that they would have made that decision differently if they'd known about the appeal result at the time. Do ask for further advice if you need it as things develop.

At the moment though, we can only wait to see what happens. I hope it all works out.

Will
    Thanks. That's very helpful.

If the WCA decision overturns the ESA appeal, I will take the nuclear option and write to my MP [name removed by moderator] because I was made to follow a process (claiming UC) that lead to that outcome.

I have a telephone appointment with my work coach on Tuesday. I'll update this thread after that.  I have an excellent relationship with him. I don't want to ruin that.
  • poppy123456
    Please edit your comment above and remove the name. As a community champion here on scope we don't allow the use of personal information like names , email addresses etc.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    I think naming an MP on an open forum is hardly personal information, MP's are openly named on national TV, radio and newspapers, they want everyone to know who they are. I can tell you who my MP is, [name removed by moderator] . I am sure if you write to him, he will tell that's fine, his name is already all over the internet so no harm done.
  • eric144
    Please edit your comment above and remove the name. As a community champion here on scope we don't allow the use of personal information like names , email addresses etc.
    If you were addressing me, I only mentioned her name b/c she is well known for her interest in the benefits system.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there
    We do ask that personal names arent shared, there are a few reasons for this, though I understand that it may seem overcautious regarding an MP whose name will be all over the place.

Firstly, it is information that could potentially be used (along with other information) to find out where a member lives, secondly, there are times when people may use this forum to write inappropriate comments about their MP and so it is easier if we just remove them all. I understand no one in this post was doing this.

When we are sharing a news story, it would be appropriate to use the name of the MP that the story is about but we do try to avoid saying who our MP is. 

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission we must make sure that the community does not "contain content that can reasonably be regarded as intended to influence voters", and under Charity Commission guidance we must ensure Scope is neutral and so we tend to try and avoid discussing an individual's MP.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mustafaraoof
    mustafaraoof Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    No justice really is there 
    you are damed if you want to work
    you are damed if you are not able to work

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.