hate crime and motability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

hate crime and motability

i321an
i321an Community member Posts: 4 Connected
edited March 2019 in Transport and travel
two days ago I was a victim of hate crime I am now so frightened the cause was the ability to find out if a car is on the Motability scheme the source - a posting on this site it has been up last date in March 2018. It described in detail how to find out.
Please take it down I have discussed it with Motability and they will ring me Monday morning I have raised my concerns with ICO

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @i321an welcome to the community! I am so sorry for what you experienced, just to be sure - when you said 'this site's did you mean another website or Scope?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

So sorry this has happened to you. Can you point us to the post and I will bring it to the attention of the Scope team
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CockneyRebel
    I have flagged your post to the Scope team
  • i321an
    I can't find it again  but after I had calmed down I googled something like how to find out if a car is a Motability car and was directed to a post on Scope that described in great detail how to do it. More importantly it asked customers to complain to Motability. The original posting I think was 2016 and the last was March 2018. I contacted Motability yesterday saying there was a breach of information and a possible 'back door' into their system. I gave them all the details where I found out and their person tried it using my reg and my details came up. I then gave them my wife's reg and nothing came up
    She contacted her manager immediately.... leaving me on hold. She has arranged for a callback before 11 : 00 on Monday
    Thank you so much  for all your interest 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @i321an   Thank you for sharing this story with the community.

So sorry what has happened.

Please can I ask did you contact the Police. They have Hate crime units and are worth contacting. With specially trained officers.

I am very concerned as I did have a Motability car for over twenty years.

I am grateful for you to bring this to the attention of the scheme providers.

Please can add wish you well and if we can help with any support please ask.

I am one of the team of community champions on the forum.

I hope if you can please let the community know of any outcome.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • i321an
    Thank you for your support I spoke to our community police officer I am sure Motability will fix this as the person I spoke to on Friday was concerned about the breach. I will certainly post the outcome as soon as there is a resolution. As I live quite close to the perpetrator I need to take care.

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @i321an

Welcome I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation.

I am also one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let us know if there’s anything that we can help/support you with. 

@steve51
  • jonny1
    jonny1 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Can’t see why someone would begrudge a person having a Motability car ,are they jealous of their  complaint (disease) or jealous of there the car I wonder 
  • CockneyRebel
    Unfortunately, thanks in part to some television programmes, some people see all benefit claimants as being scroungers. Armed with this snippet of misinformation the green eye monster can be awoken especially when they see you with a nice car.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jonny1 Pleased to meet you.  Unfortunately we live in a society where the emphasise is on targeting the vulnerable, the members of our community who are disadvantaged and have illness, conditions plus disability.

Understand this no one like to scare monger people but I have been on this forum a long time as a community champion and a member read the stories.

I my self had a Motability car for twenty plus years.  Before I had lost it due to the PIP debacle.

I was always careful never drew attention to myself safe as I could.. Made my self small yet felt intimidated by who ever I moved into the community.  Constant verbal and irritation plus also the other side of just adding comments and insinuations .

Had to move five times in twenty years . Even where I am now the Police Hate Unit called.

I am kind, supportive and helpful old fashioned and there are those like me with decent Christian values.  Yet my community where I live rejects me does not wish to know.

There are crimes called Mate crime which have written about on here. Basically some one befriends you innocently next your money gone your car they insist being on the insurance in form of suggestions. Also small things like food items and anything household.

Had the Police called and discussed the issues.  All I can say is there are other incidents . Please my advice just be careful.

Talking to the Police who have special units it is a good idea.  If having any problems or issues.

In all my experience this form of harassment, bullying and intimidation will continue.  Unless we stand together and become strong.

Support each other.

I do not ever feel safe and have made certain steps to ease the situation.

On line shopping, delivery of goods, prescriptions etc.  Had constant arguing, threats and all because when shopping in certain discount stores limited car parking.  For disabled a lot being said on the subject on this forum. When I was driving.

Second also use a taxi driver been useful and also feel a lot safer in their presence something to consider.  

Wear dark clothing , be aware of not speaking to strangers unless you have to. Usual members of my own age. Even then do not. Not being rude.

There are those who see disability means lack of intelligence for some reason, you tell me.  Might use that to get to you.  Had this first time with a lad in the village you got have to believe me. Charged me a fee for a taxi he ran.  £25 plus for a trip to the Doctors and back. Found out usual fare is £10 my new taxi firm told me.

Careful use of mobile phone and hide it in a secure place when out buttoned up, any indications make them the perpetrators less likely to harm you.

When finding people to do things on you home double check costs use checkatrade website please do not use a friends recommendations. Might be in conspiring with the workman as I had once.

Wanted a aerial fitted cost me over £150 , he was a friends recommendation.found out checkatrade  cost me £80 . The guy on the phone asked a quote told him the price going to have to pay.

This so called friend only recommendation charged me because the so called friend needed money and I said no.  Does happen hence the block to screen calls on my phone.

Just think all the time be safe and not draw yourself to any one.

All I can add is reiterate as my friend @CockneyRebel rebel as said.

I apologise long post this is what is happening to me. I am a small member of the community, society we live in yet there are those who are suffering like me every day.  Much worse than me.

Good to have this forum to speak what is happening.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @i321an
    I have seen the post you are talking about and I have removed the name of the website this member is referring to as others were concerned it could be a guide for some people to misuse this feature. The member who posted this was trying to help and raise awareness but we feel it right to remove some details to protect others.

Regarding to the hate crime, I am so sorry to hear you have been through this, Im glad you have spoken to the police and I hope things are sorted for you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • i321an
    Thank you for that information I appreciate that the member acted only in our collective best interest. On my part I did as requested and contacted Motability and complained also to the ICO Information Commissioners Office.

So when I started my personal investigation in to how the details of my car and by association my identity was out there in the public domain. Unfortunately when I set out on this search it was late on Friday afternoon. Notability promised me a return call this morning my first contact with them made a full report and they acted on my evidence.
    Motability have assured me that this breach of security will be fixed within a day or two.
    I am unable to provide any more details as it may result in yet another breach.
    I only wish the post was taken down years ago then I for one wouldn't have had my unfortunate encounter

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Hello  and having checked my own car registration for tax details all that came up was no tax due. My car is taxed as a disabled vehicle. This was using the DVLA site.

Brightness