Lwcra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lwcra

Davido
Davido Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, can anyone tell me what happens if both partners recieve lwcra while on uc

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It means you'll both receive the extra £328 per month starting from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent in your first fit/sick note. It also means that if you are a carer for someone claiming a disability benefit then neither of you can receive the carers element of UC because you can't receive both elements at the same time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Davido!
  • geeforce
    geeforce Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi I’m  signed off work been claiming  universal credit for 3 months I’ve got a work caperbillty medical this week my wife’s on pip and  can’t  work will we be entitled to the disability premium 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

There's no disability premiums paid on UC. Do you mean the extra element paid on LCWRA? For this, you'll need to wait for a decision to made which will be a few weeks after your work capability assessment. If you're given LCWRA then you'll be paid an extra £328 per month in your UC. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • geeforce
    Thanks for the reply poppy12345 yes that’s wot I meant it’s a joint clam so we might get it because of my wife 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. If you're wife is given LCWRA then it will be only 1 extra element of £328 per month. If this is given then she'll be placed into the no work requirements group. This doesn't apply to you, unless you're her carer and she will need to be claiming either DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living for the carer element to be added.

If you're unfit for work because of a health condition then you'll also need to send in fit/sick notes to claim LCW yourself.
  • geeforce
    Thanks again poppy1234 you are so kind on this forum 
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome :) and thank you!
  • geeforce
    Just a update got my reply from my assessment they said lcw I’m bit confused they said not got to send in anymore fit notes 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2019
    geeforce said:
    Just a update got my reply from my assessment they said lcw I’m bit confused they said not got to send in anymore fit notes 
    LCW means limited capability for work and you're placed into the work preparation group.  This means that you're expected to you will be expected to prepare for a move into work, additional work, or better paid work. Actions to get ready for work could include attending training courses, preparing a CV or taking part in the Work Programme.

You will not be required to take steps to apply for or take up work as a condition of your claim. You will be expected to attend any appointments and will need to look at your UC journal to what your work commitments are. They are correct no further fit notes are needed.

As your claim started after April 2017 then LCW doesn't entitle you to any extra money in your UC payment. Only LCWRA entitles you to the extra £328 per month.

• geeforce
    Thanks poppy your so helpful 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.
  • geeforce
    Hi poppy just a update my wife received a letter today saying she’s been put in the group that you get extra £328 a month does that mean we will get back dated from my first claim back in November last year or does it start in next payment 
    thanks for all your help durining last few months 
  • poppy123456
    geeforce said:
    Hi poppy just a update my wife received a letter today saying she’s been put in the group that you get extra £328 a month does that mean we will get back dated from my first claim back in November last year or does it start in next payment 
    thanks for all your help durining last few months 
    Great news. The extra money is paid from the 4th month of the claim starting from when she sent in her first fit/sick note. This is because there's a 3 month waiting period and UC is paid in arrears which means it's the 4th month.
  • geeforce
    Thanks poppy so I’m reading this right she will get back payment from first sic note 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. No, you need to count 4 months after the first sick note was sent and this is when they'll start paying her the extra money.  See link and scroll down to waiting period.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.