te1. Long term DLA changing to Pips Fibromyalgia/Depression Spinal stenosis Arthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

te1. Long term DLA changing to Pips Fibromyalgia/Depression Spinal stenosis Arthritis

te1
te1 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hi people I'm trying to cope with filling in the PIP form and to be honest it's making me ill I've done most of it and I'm aware that it's all about how your disability affects you on daily basis. Just need some advice do I add to the additional information about how my disability affects me with regard to for example things like activities I used to enjoy doing but can't do now, I used to enjoy taking my grandson to football and watching him play, taking the grandchildren out for a day out going on shopping trips with friends. I don't want to obviously put my claim at risk if this information would go against me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I would concentrate on adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Don't forget to add you name and NI number to everything you send and make sure you send evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

If you don't have enough time to return the form you can ring to request an extra 14 days. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • te1
    Thank you I've been trying to do that with most of the questions but finding it hard to put into words what I'm trying to say as my concentration and memory isn't good due to my fibromyalgia 
  • te1
    Hi,

I would concentrate on adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Don't forget to add you name and NI number to everything you send and make sure you send evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

If you don't have enough time to return the form you can ring to request an extra 14 days. Good luck.

• te1
    Please could you send me the link with the descriptors 
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • te1
    Thank you for your help 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Hi,

I have seen you and others mention these examples in other postings. What do you do if you have grown so used to carrying out these activities in a totally different way avoiding the problems had before years ago. Do you just make it up hypothetically? I can't remember last week never mind decades ago.
  • te1
    Sorry this might sound stupid but which part are you referring to when you say making it up hypothetically. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    This is so often the case with long term conditions, we learn how to manage. To quote hypothetically is fraught with stumbling blocks and cannot be recommended.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    Yes, we all learn to cope and manage our disabilities but i wouldn't recommend quoting "hypothetically"
  • twonker
    edited March 2019
    Sorry I must be missing something. OK you shouldn't go down the hypothetical route then. But how can you give an example of the last time you carried out that activity if the last time was Ok because you have learned how to get round the problem.
    Take having a bath. Before I found a way round it I couldn't carry out the activity. With being shown how it could be done another way I can do it.
    Don't we all find other ways to solve these problems so that we can do them?  Or are you saying that despite being shown and told and using your noggin you still can't find an alternative way? So using the bath example you still cannot have a bath?
    Before I became disabled I could cook with the best of them, now if I tried it would be impossible. I have found another way round by buying in ready made meals for one and warming them up. If I didn't bother to work out how to get round that problem I would have starved. I haven't attempted to cook for over 15 years so would not know where to start if I could.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Totally agree with you. I also have the problems
  • twonker
    edited March 2019
    That makes some sense I suppose. On most of the parts on the last claim form I said that I can do the activity, which is the absolute truth. It didn't ask how I do them and nor did the assessment woman ask.
     So take the bath again, I have a short plank of wood that goes across the bath which I sit on like the old type of bath rack and use the rubber extension shower attachment to wash all over.my body.

It's easy to get on and off except for getting my legs over the bath side one at a time.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.