PIP - Need more information (identity) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - Need more information (identity)

Options
Hollyflynn22
Hollyflynn22 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi guys

I got a letter in the post and it's from the DWP

It says  "we need some more information before we can progress your claim for Personal Independence Payment.
"To claim any benefit we need to confirm your identity"

Is this normal? I'm kind of worried.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, this does sometime happen. It happened with my daughters claim when i first claimed for her. A simple phone call to DWP put everything right. It's really nothing to worry about, most likely a simple error in the spelling of your name could have caused a problem. Give them a ring when they open tomorrow.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hollyflynn22
    Options
    Hi, 
    thank you for replying to me
    I think its the reason i recently changed my name through deed poll like 2 months ago and possibly could still be known as a different name on the electoral roll? 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Changing your name is the most likely reason for you having to prove your identity. Having a copy of your change of name application form, dates ect will and should make the process easier for you. Good luck and keep posting.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree that's it's most likely your name change that's triggered this. You'll most likely need to send them a copy of your deed poll as confirmation of your name change.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hollyflynn22
    Options
    Thank you guys for replying!

Yeah i shall ring them tomorrow and ask about it, highly anxious tho!  :s 
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    If this is what it is about (name change) then they need to see the original document, not a copy of it.

Rather than send the original in to them (not recommended), pop into your local job centre. They will take a copy, stamp it as seen by them, and then give you the copy, which you can then post to DWP yourself.  The job centre can send the copy on your behalf too but it goes in the normal post so doesn't get there any quicker than if you post it yourself.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.