Tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal

lizbob
lizbob Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I have my tribunal date for 1st April. I don't have a legal rep but is it ok to take a relative in with me and if so are the allowed to speak, I didn't include their name on the form when I applied for the appeal.  In my original claim I ticked the'it nature's box which I have since learnt you should not do, is this going to be a problem. Also does anyone know on average how long the tribunal takes. Thanks

Comments

• lizbob
    Should read 'it varies' box !
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    I took my daughter with me, once the panel have asked you questions they asked my daughter if there is anything she wants to add.
    It took around 35 mins, its not a scary as you think so dont worry. I was sent out room for 20 mins and when i went back in i had won.
    Goodluck
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You will have to answer all the questions yourself, unless you have an appointee. Having a rep doesn't mean they will answer the questions for you. The only person that will know how your conditions affect you is yourself.

Sometimes at the end they may ask the person with you if there's anything they want to add but this doesn't always happen.

If you have any evidence to send then you need to make sure this is sent to arrive no later than 10 days before the hearing date. Taking it with you or sending it late could cause the Tribunal to adjourn because they may not have time to read the evidence.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 
    I took a friend with me mainly as I am unable to get anywhere without assistance. She was allowed in with me but not able to answer any of their questions however they did ask her if she had any questions or anything to add . The whole thing took about an hour including waiting for decision and going back in for result. Good result I won my case. Just be prepared before you go it wasn't scary at all and finally worth all the stress. Good luck 
  • TheKev1972
    TheKev1972 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Recently won my tribunal and was awarded 12 points on both modules (Daily living and mobility). I had my father with me for support as i suffer from severe social agoraphobia, OCD, COPD, Anxiety and depression disorder. I was asked various questions for about 20 minutes by 3 people a Judge a Doctor and a social worker/ care worker. My Father was asked a few questions in relation to my case and that was that. After waiting in a small room for a while we were called in and informed I had won my case and been awarded a back payment to last June also. It is better for you to be there in person as you can show them how badly your conditions for claiming PIP are taking there toll on your every day life and health. Good luck with the tribunal, I hope everything turns out well for you. I hope my words have helped, take care.
  • lizbob
    Recently won my tribunal and was awarded 12 points on both modules (Daily living and mobility). I had my father with me for support as i suffer from severe social agoraphobia, OCD, COPD, Anxiety and depression disorder. I was asked various questions for about 20 minutes by 3 people a Judge a Doctor and a social worker/ care worker. My Father was asked a few questions in relation to my case and that was that. After waiting in a small room for a while we were called in and informed I had won my case and been awarded a back payment to last June also. It is better for you to be there in person as you can show them how badly your conditions for claiming PIP are taking there toll on your every day life and health. Good luck with the tribunal, I hope everything turns out well for you. I hope my words have helped, take care.
    Thank you for your reply. I am slightly concerned that in the mobility part of my PIP form I to ticked the 'it varies's box, I have since read you are advised not to tick that box, will this be a problem for me at the tribunal. I ticked it because when I get severe pain I can't walk other times I am able to walk, all be it with some pain.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is how you are at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period and this is what the Tribunal will take into consideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lizbob
    Had my tribunal today and am pleased to report that from being awarded nothing for mobility the decision today was to award me the enhanced rate, I had been receiving higher rate mobility for 18years. I was told by the clerk that the DWP could overturn the decision but it was unlikely as it would just mean another tribunal where it would probably just reinstate the award. I am slightly confused that my DLA mobility was stopped May 2018 but they are backdating my PIP award only from September 2018, is this right? Didn't think about it at the time now I am just wondering

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.