Hobbies Pastimes & Interests — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hobbies Pastimes & Interests

Roddy
Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
Our abilities as disabled people can prevent us from doing all manner of things. However, I am sure that most of us all have 'likes' and certain interests that we actively pursue as best we are able. I am unable to leave my home unaided for example and any kind of physical activities (such as sports for example) are personally problematic, but I have a wealth of other interests & hobbies which keep me active in those areas... 

I would enjoy communicating with those who share my interests, whilst also hearing about your own for other like-minded souls to enjoy too. I have always been an avid collector & admirer of period Art Deco antiques, and particularly glass items of all periods & styles up to the 1950s. During my younger and more able years, I was fortunate enough to be an independent glass working artist with my own glass blowing facility... such has been my love & appreciation of glass!

I am still active enough to design certain items and am currently developing & working on a new project producing carved-glass panel luminaires with electrical lamp bases, influenced by some of the amazing examples that were produced in France during the 1920s & 1930s

The above is just a brief introduction in the hope that someone amongst you perhaps shares my interests and/or would like to share your own? 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Roddy

I have always been fascinated by the skill of glass blowing, alas it is to late for me to learn now.

As you say being disabled does limit the things we can do, I consider myself as just not being able to do some things that I used to do.

I have always had practical and manual interests, most of which I am no longer able to do. However rather than waste the knowledge of a lifetime, i now hold very small teaching sessions when I am able. Things like basic mechanics and car repair, basic mig welding, brickwork, decorating, woodwork and diy skills. Simple plumbing repairs and for a change how to use a sewing machine and overlocker to make alterations and basic garments.
    I have a third workshop that should be completed soon devoted to metalwork, bending twisting and shaping, a poormans wrought iron work.if you like. When the summer comes ( ha ha ) I will be holding crossbow target practice

I hope your new project goes well, perhaps you could post some pictures of your work
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Roddy
    edited March 2019
    Hi Roddy

I have always been fascinated by the skill of glass blowing, alas it is to late for me to learn now.

As you say being disabled does limit the things we can do, I consider myself as just not being able to do some things that I used to do.

I have always had practical and manual interests, most of which I am no longer able to do. However rather than waste the knowledge of a lifetime, i now hold very small teaching sessions when I am able. Things like basic mechanics and car repair, basic mig welding, brickwork, decorating, woodwork and diy skills. Simple plumbing repairs and for a change how to use a sewing machine and overlocker to make alterations and basic garments.
    I have a third workshop that should be completed soon devoted to metalwork, bending twisting and shaping, a poormans wrought iron work.if you like. When the summer comes ( ha ha ) I will be holding crossbow target practice

I hope your new project goes well, perhaps you could post some pictures of your work
    Glass blowing is not for the faint hearted. It's 100 times more difficult than it looks and most people give up trying. You really really want to achieve it if you're going to reach any level of success. It can take 1 year just to blow a perfect round bubble of glass and then to repeat it... It's bloomin' costly too and is not the kind of thing you can do in your kitchen! LOL You've also got to be a Chemist (of sorts) if you want to produce a variety of compatible colours...

You sound like a very busy man!  It's great to know that you can still utilise some of your skills whilst gaining satisfaction from doing them, and teaching others too. 

Here is one of my carved glass panel designs. It will stand vertically supported in an oblong lamp base and only the design will be seen (there is a 4" empty space of glass beneath the design)  Once the panel is lit, the design will glow like a large fibre-optic and all of the details will be vibrant... It's my first piece though I have five others in the making and I'm currently designing more. I'll only produce one of each to keep them all unique. This one is approximately 13 inches square and the glass is 1/2" thick with polished edges of course. . 

• CockneyRebel
    Wow that is fantastic, you are truely an artist
  • Roddy
    Wow that is fantastic, you are truely an artist
    @CockneyRebel Thank You... That is very kind of you to say. I have always first & foremost, totally enjoyed the designing process and coming-up with ideas. If it is not enjoyable then what is the point? The work will suffer for it and it will show. 'IF' somebody else likes it once it's completed then that is of course an additional bonus, and particularly if/when a piece sells. 

As with any craft, we quickly run out of friends or family to give the items to, and the costs involved to produce our work often leaves us with no other choice but to try to recoup something to enable the next piece to be produced. Greetings Cards for example have seen a huge surge of interest from craft-makers, but how many Birthday's, Weddings or Christenings do we have in our immediate circle every month! 

My panels are of course not everyday items and the market for these items is relatively limited, however I am 'hopeful' that they will have some appeal to those that have an eye for quality items of interior display and are prepared to pay for that. I'll only know the answer once I've produced a sellable range/variety, but I would have had lots of enjoyment along the way...  

Here's one other that I'm working on. In it's the 'manner' of Rene Lalique and is quite a size at 16" high... It is not a copy nor have I produced it as a 'fake' however an original would cost in excess of £15,000 (if you could locate one for sale) I have added a sketch of the lamp-base I'm producing for the panel too, to illustrate how the finished piece will look. The lower section of glass is hidden inside the base, and it is this part which will distribute the light throughout the design...  Hope you like it, but come one everyone, share some crafts of Your own! 

• CockneyRebel
    That is another stunning piece, when my lottery numbers come up I will want to talk to you :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing work @Roddy
    Have you seen our KaleidoScope post? It's a place where our members share their art work, crafts and photography and can chat about hobbies :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Roddy
    @Sam_Scope @CockneyRebel Thank You, Sam. I am still having problems navigating this site (I'm not very savvy with such things) but I'll take a look, thanks to your link:):smile: 

That is another stunning piece, when my lottery numbers come up I will want to talk to you :
    Ha! That's a deal! LOL I understand that folks cannot promote/sell items on here and that is not my intention. I just want to encourage others that's all... However, regarding my panel luminaires, each one costs me a minimum of say £400 to produce and that's without the hours of labour & struggles to make them. I'm not in it for the money, but I don't have a bottomless wallet either, and so if none sell, then I can't make any more.  :'( 

Brightness