Meeting someone and dating. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meeting someone and dating.

Options
happy91
happy91 Community member Posts: 101 Pioneering
Hi Gill,

How do you meet and date a potential partner when you are long-term sick disabled?

Most people expect you to be working or ask you what you do for work.

I am not fit to work at present but hope to be in future. I still try to keep busy when I can and manage what I can do around supporting my health.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @happy91

Thank you for sharing this with us, hopefully some of our members will be able to answer your question. You may be interested in our Dating and Relationships discussions.

That's really good to hear, that you are keeping busy and managing what you can. The right person will come along when you least expect it ;)
  • happy91
    happy91 Community member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks @Antonia_Scope, you wrote exactly what I needed to see :blush:
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
  • PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @happy91- that's a really good question and one which I am sure plenty of others have faced too, so thank you very much for raising it.  I know we've had similar discussions before about when/how to disclose about a disability or a long term condition, and there have been a wide range of responses.  My personal feeling is that having a disability or being unable to work is just a neutral - it doesn't mean you won't be a great partner or anything like that, so personally speaking, it wouldn't put me off and I am sure loads of people feel the same way!  You sound like you have a positive outlook, and as @Antonia_Scope says, you're keeping busy and looking ahead, and that's very attractive!  I think I'd just jump in.  If  you're ready to find a partner and date, then I would just go for it.  The right person will turn up and disclosing your condition means you'll hopefully meet someone who's able to engage with the potential complexities of a disability or long term condition (which is always a bonus).  Good luck! :D 
    - Gill 

Brightness