I'm a OAP on DLA and have not yet been asked to apply for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm a OAP on DLA and have not yet been asked to apply for PIP

BoabG
BoabG Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm a OAP on DLA and have not yet been asked to apply for PIP

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @BoabG welcome to the community. 

Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members may be able to support you with this.
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I read this on the Citizens Advice Bureau site

You’ll carry on getting DLA if you were 65 or over on 8 April 2013. For everyone else aged 16 and over, DLA will stop and you’ll need to claim PIP instead - even if you have a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for DLA.”

Seems like if you’re over 71 you’re not affected.
  • BoabG
    Thanks for your reply Fitznspatz, I am aware of the conditions you mention.  My point in my post is about Amber Rudd making an announcement today that pensioners on PIP will not be tested again.  The people of my age range 66 to 71 will still be called for the humiliating test to transfer onto PIP.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    The statement made by Amber Rudd doesn't include those still waiting to be transferred across, it's for those already claiming PIP.  All those still waiting will eventually be invited to apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BoabG
    Yes poppy but that's my point, thousands of pensioners aged 66 to 71 with a life award for DLA, are still dreading the brown envelope that calls you to the humiliating assessment for PIP.  
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    If it gives you consolation Boab, my wife’s assessment was anything but humiliating. Filling in the form took time but it was straightforward and the face to face interview was a purposeful and devoid of any trickery.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Another consolation is that your DLA payments continue until you're assessed for PIP.

Not all stories are bad. Lots of people claim PIP successfully without any problems at all, we just don't hear their stories.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    BoabG said:
    Yes poppy but that's my point, thousands of pensioners aged 66 to 71 with a life award for DLA, are still dreading the brown envelope that calls you to the humiliating assessment for PIP.  
    Everybody has to go onto PIP that isn't under 16 or over 71. DLA has finished. There have been thousands of OAP's that just missed the cut off date and have had to go through the PIP process.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.