DLA FOR PENSIONERS. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA FOR PENSIONERS.

menomblet1
menomblet1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
After the announcement yesterday by Amber Rudd how does this affect people over 65 OR PENSIONABLE AGE on DLA.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
     You'll still be transferred to PIP eventually. The announcment is for those claiming PIP not DLA.

No legislation has been done yet and most likely won't for a while. Until that is out then we'll all have to wait and see what happens.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @menomblet1, and welcome! 

As Poppy says, there is nothing official in place yet. However, do feel free to join in our discussions and get involved in the meantime. We have lots of knowledgeable members and I'm sure they'll be the first in the know if/when anything changes!
  • teresa65
    teresa65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    If That sort of statement is made does that ensure it will happen or can it be revoked. Surely when a minister says from spring it will take effect, that should happen.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    It will happen the first you will here about it will more than likely be a letter to those who qualify she said the spring and that usually means the start of April the new tax year 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Isn't this inviting trouble? Assuming there is a claimant that was awarded Enhanced Care and Mobility at say 70. Based on that type of claimant there is no incentive to notify the DWP of any changes that relate to a worsening condition as they cannot get a higher award than what they are currently receiving. Conversely, for that same claimant who finds that things become easier by virtue of not requiring assistance but now just having a new aid, or new medication/surgery that improves their outlook, the DWP will miss the opportunity of re-assessing at the regular intervals when the reduction in needs would become apparent. I cannot see any award for any age being treated as a lifetime award, probably a 10 year award is what the Minister is talking about. Is the Minister that trusting that the over retirement age claimants will always report an improvement in health etc when it happens? 

In all I am pleased that the DWP are looking at PIP in a serious way and are trying to solve some of the problems that this benefit causes.

Maybe also the Minister could be looking at income related benefits when additional premiums are added to a claimants income because they receive a qualifying disability benefit (PIP/AA/DLA) Why are some claimants receiving a 'double award' for a disability?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.