Change in amount - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change in amount

2»

Comments

• Lyndrix
    Lyndrix Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Is an ISA that can't be accessed for 2yrs still counted?
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Sorry I do not know. You will have to ask the DWP. I hope I haven't given you bad information.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Lyndrix said:
    Is an ISA that can't be accessed for 2yrs still counted?
    All bank/savings accounts that are in your name or partners should be reported to DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • easy
    I have checked and any back payment will be disregarded for the life of your ESA claim. 
  • poppy123456
    easy said:
    I have checked and any back payment will be disregarded for the life of your ESA claim. 
    Do you have a link for that please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456

If your benefits have been underpaid you could be entitled to a back payment from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

This might involve a substantial lump sum payment, which could push you over the savings limits for means tested benefits, including:

• income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Universal Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit

In some cases, this payment is not counted as savings for one year and will not affect your income related or means tested benefits during this time.
    However, where benefits have been underpaid because of:

• an official error
    • an error on point of law

any payments over £5,000 can be disregarded for the length of the claim or until the award ends.

Please note it says CAN be. It's not disregarded unless DWP have stated it's disregarded for the length of the award. Which is what i previously advised. If it's disregarded for the life of the award it will say on the award letter.
  • easy
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.
  • Lyndrix
    The that's what confused me...my letter says "we will not add the payment to any capital or savings you have already told us about until your claim ends" 
    So what does that exactly mean "until your claim ends"?
    I stress so much about benefits that my brain goes to mush when I read these letters.

• poppy123456
    Until your claim ends means it's disregarded for the whole of the time you're claiming ESA. If at any point you stop claiming ESA and re-claim a means tested benefit then it will be counted as savings after 52 weeks.
  • Lyndrix
    I have SPMS and was medically retired many, many years ago and sometimes the obvious things are quite obscure to me. 
    Thankyou once again Poppy.
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome :) enjoy that money and don't worry about what you spend it on or whether you still have it a year from now.
  • Lyndrix
    How do they know the money is from them. I took some of mine out in a panic so I didn't get mixed up n now want to put it in a saving account
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    You have the award letter to prove where the money came from. Please try not to worry, the back pay you received is disregarded for the life of your ESA claim. The savings you had before the backpay aren't included.
  • Lyndrix
    Bless you Poppy x
  • Lyndrix
    Hi Poppy I've only just thought about my housing and council tax credit! Ive been so worried about the ESA I didn't give it a thought now I'm worried all over again.
  • poppy123456
    It's disregarded for all means tested benefits for the life time of your ESA award, as previously advised.
  • Lyndrix
    Oh I didn't expect a response straight away Poppy with it being so early. Thank you again your help and guidance has been so reassuring. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm always up early as i sleep so badly. You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.