PIP Savings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Savings

paulus
paulus Community member Posts: 19 Listener
I am just curious...IF say i were to save my PIP money what happens when it say reach's the saving allowed thresh hold of £16,000 whilst i am on Income Support aswell?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,346 Disability Gamechanger
    Savings don't affect PIP because it's not means tested.

Your savings will affect your Income Support, housing benefit if you claim it and council tax reduction because they're means tested benefits. . Savings of £6,000 and over affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount. £16,000 and over and all your means tested benefits will stop.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paulus
    paulus Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    So Poppy, what you are saying is..No matter how much i save of my PIP allowance, were it to go over the £16000 then it wont affect my other benefits?...And saving ones PIP money is not in breach of anything?  am i correct?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,346 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    paulus said:
    So Poppy, what you are saying is..No matter how much i save of my PIP allowance, were it to go over the £16000 then it wont affect my other benefits?...And saving ones PIP money is not in breach of anything?  am i correct?
    No, that's not what i said. Your savings will affect your Income Support, housing benefit if you claim it and council tax reduction because they're means tested benefits. .

Savings of £6,000 and over affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount. £16,000 and over and all your means tested benefits will stop.

Once your savings reach the lower amount of £6,000 then you need to ring DWP and your local council to report the changes and your benefits will be reduced accordingly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.