Visual and hearing impairments
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help with cost of new spectacles?

exdvrexdvr Member Posts: 314 Pioneering
Hi.....I receive the high rate mobility component of PIP and am also on Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefits but now badly need my eyes tested and new spectacles.    Is there any help available to meet the costs involved?

Best wishes.



  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 10,062 Disability Gamechanger
    Check with the optician. If your on certain benefits you are entitled to free eye test and money towards glasses. I have medical exemption certificate which entitled you to this. Also check on nhs website gives full details 
  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @exdvr welcome to the community.

    You may find some information on Free NHS eye tests and optical vouchers on the NHS website and they have provided some numbers: 

    Help with Health Costs helpline – 0300 330 1343

    Queries about medical exemption certificates – 0300 330 1341

    Queries about tax credit certificates – 0300 330 1347

    To order a paper copy of an NHS claims form – 0300 123 0849

    Please let us know if you have any questions and keep us updated ;)

  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,326 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are claiming ESA you can get help with eye tests and vouchers towards new glasses these are issued once a year. Also by contacting DWP they will sent a letter to comfirm your husband is claiming if you have a joint claim that is. This can be shown when you have dental checks ect.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Yopu can also apply for an HC2 certificate under the low income scheme to help with some NHS services
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
Sign in or join us to comment.