ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

annyella48
annyella48 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi there
i have been on ESA for over 20 yrs.. i was involved in a car crash 28 years ago dislocate my neck and spent 3 months in hospital, i now suffer from chronic back pain, i don't have full use of my neck, i have fluid in my knees so every now and then if I'm walking my knee would give way and i end up falling down,
this has happened on a number of occasions.
i went for my medical examination 2 months ago and i have just received a letter stating that i had not passed my medical and i should start looking for work..
my situation remains the same, if anything WORSE.. as my panic attack is starting back...
what can i do, i don't have a clue, i don't even have the confidence to speak on the phone..

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Same happened to me can’t use my hands you do mandatory reconsideration go vitamins advice they help you you won’t get any money now then if mr fails go to tribunal the team and followers will help you don’t give up you can get nil income form for rent paid good luck 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you've been found fit for work your ESA will now stop. As Dotty says your first step is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this.

You should put the request in writing stating which group you think you should be in and your reasons why. Send any evidence you have with the letter. You won't be paid any ESA while you wait for the MR decision. If the MR decision remains the same and most do then it's Tribunal after that. If you don't claim universal credit in the meantime then once the Tribunal accept your appeal you can go back onto assessment rate for ESA but you'll need sick notes from your GP backdated to the date you were found fit for work.

It could be several weeks before you'll receive any money. If you claim housing benefit and council tax reduction these will automatically stop. You need to contact your local council and claim for nil income and then they will continue.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dotty123
    I did good yes got rent sorted and DHP paid I’m learning x
  • annyella48
    Sorry, 
    Not sure what you mean by 'claim for nil income'???
    I'm new to all this...
  • Dotty123
    Go to council ask for nil income form they’ll pay your rent for you they do food bank for you to 
  • poppy123456
    Sorry, 
    Not sure what you mean by 'claim for nil income'???
    I'm new to all this...
    Because your ESA stopped then your housing benefit will also automatically stop because DWP will contact your local council. The nil income form will allow you to continue to receive your housing benefit while you wait for the MR decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • annyella48
    Ok, so where do I get the nil income form from. 
    Do I call up the council?
    Sorry I'm just so confused.
  • poppy123456
    Speak to your local council and tell them you've been found fit for work and need to continue claiming housing benefit through nil income. This is presuming you were claiming Income related ESA and don't live with a partner that works.
  • Dotty123
    If they don’t have nil income form you can get discrete art housing premium same as nil income go get it from council fill in ASAP 
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    If they don’t have nil income form you can get discrete art housing premium same as nil income go get it from council fill in ASAP 
    I'm not sure what a discrete art housing premium is.

However, all local councils have nil income forms and this can be filled in when someone's been found fit for work, if they don't live with a partner that works.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.