What do we do now? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do we do now?

martie
martie Community member Posts: 12 Courageous

Hi,

Could you tell me whether my brother can have his PIP reassess because they have got it totally wrong i.e. He can wash his bottom half of his body but not his top half, he has never been able wash himself. Also amogest other discrepancies he can cook with assistance, I got no idea where this come from because he cannot stand unaided for long by himself or with a carers help  The only things he can do for himself is drink through a straw and only if it place in front of him and also can control his laptop with a special joystick and an on screen keyboard. He has 24/7 care.  I cannot understand how somebody who came to assess my brother could get it so wrong. As he has cerebral palsy and has had this condition since birth also he has epilepsy.

Many thanks,

Jackie         

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

If he's had a decision you're not happy with and it was recent then you first step is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You should put the request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think he should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

Send evidence to support his claim with the letter because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. If the MR decision remains the same then the next step is Tribunal. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • martie

Hi,

Unfortunately it has been over a month, is it to late to ask for a review for him. 

• poppy123456
    No, with good reason you have 13 months. When writing the letter you need to put the reasons why you didn't request the MR within the 1 month time frame.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • martie
    Hi,
    I need help to do this, can Scope help us please.
  • poppy123456
    I'm afraid Scope won't be able to help you write the MR request letter. I'd advise you to contact an advice agency near you who will help you, if you can't do the letter yourself.
  • martie
    I'm wondering what Scope do these days because I can remember years ago they were there to help us in anyway possible including talking groups on holidays and giving us gants. I would like to what they do with a the donations that you receive? 
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea, i don't work for scope i'm sorry. I'm just a community champion here that gives advice to others based on my own personal experience.

I do know that scope are unable to help with filling out forms or writing letters of request for the MR/Tribunal.

There's advice agencies such as CAB/welfare rights or a law centre that help with that sort of thing. This link will help you find what's in your area. https://advicelocal.uk/

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.