Pip — Scope | Disability forum


mancsean Member Posts: 7 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Many years ago I suffered a stroke which took part of my sight amongst other long standing issues physically and mentally 

I received a text for my pip claim 

Will I definitely have to see someone at dwp after my gp has confirmed everything as this has me in an absolute panic 

Thanks for the update 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mancsean and welcome

    Most people will be required to have a face to face assessment. If your GP is prepared to write to say that you are definately unable to attend a centre then you may get a home visit
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mancsean, and a warm welcome to the community! 

    As CR says, most people do attend a face to face assessment. This Citizens Advice page may give you an idea of how to prepare and what to expect. Do keep us updated and feel free to come back to us with any questions.

    Unless you have a terminal illness you’ll usually have to have an assessment to complete your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) application. It’s an opportunity for you to talk about how your condition affects you - it's not a diagnosis of your condition or a medical examination.

    It's important you prepare - the DWP will use evidence from the assessment to decide if you can get PIP. Your assessment provider will be Atos or Capita - you should get a letter telling you which one it will be.

    A health professional will carry out your assessment - they'll write a report and send it to the DWP.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.