Fed up with fighting the DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fed up with fighting the DWP

madquasimodo
madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just joined fed up with the DWP fighting for mine and my partners benefits, as are many others, I m not sure I can offer any help but I might be able to help with encouragement and support

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @madquasimodo welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us, unfortunately a lot of our members feel this way. But I am happy to hear you are pushing forward for you and your partner.

Which benefit are you on please? so I can move you in the right discussions to meet other members. You may be interested in our Appealing a DWP benefits decision page. 

Please let us know, if you have any questions.

• madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    I am on PIP + lower rate mobility, my other half was on PIP and full mobility but its just been removed and cut to the PIP to standard, I have sent in the MR but hold little hope of any change, as we had the same last time, I spent 40mins with the DWP last time I did the MR but they dismissed everything, we got to Tribunal and they offered her full PIP and lower mobility just for walking in, they offered her a chance to try for full mobility, she answered the questions and we got a clean sweep full PIP and Mobility, Thinking this time they would just renew her award, they did a new PIP2 and she lost all but standard PIP.

Sadly after an operation she has been left with Vestibular Balance problems and cant walk in a straight line or keep her balance, one thing bugged me when we went to tribunal, they just gave her the award, it was my thinking they should have gone through the PIP2 descriptors and done each section and awarded point for each, they did not, so even though she cant stand unaided they think (on the form) she can cook, but she could not safely or reliably move a hot pan, the blanket award left many section of the form blank.
  • Sankay
    Sankay Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    edited March 2019
    Yes it terrible, and you would think once you won an appeal they would leave you alone but NO the DWP deside to do their health reports on you & thr appeal system starts all over again! Im about to go through it all again for the 3rd time in as many years. I have won the last 2 appeals & got all money owed back paid but that is no compensation when Im left without transport for 6 months of the year to get to hospital appointments, physio etc & having to rely on other people & taxis. Im loosing the will to fight I now also suffer with Anxiety! Which makes it difficult to keep going over & over my problems.
    Now Im reading that they want to change the appeal system as 72% of their dessissons were over turned last year(surely that tells you its the DWP that are getting it wrong) For the first time in my life I have had suisidal thoughts & now having to have counciling & medication for this. Yet I read they want to be stop being held responsible for people ending their lives! I was never like this before I  got stuck in this system. My health professionals, family & friends all tell me Im a strong person & will get through this but without their support I don't know where I would be! So I can imagine how difficult it must be for poor people who are not as stubborn as me. I wish you all the best please don't give up the fight
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sankay, thank you for sharing this with us and I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm sure many of our members will empathise with your frustrations about the current system.

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

I'm so glad to hear you have support from counselling and medication, and you're doing your best to help others. I really hope today is as kind as possible to you.

• Sankay
    Sankay Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thank you Pippa, I have talked with my doctor & the Samaritans & Im starting counciling with MINDS next week. Im very lucky to have  wonderful supportive family & friends. Im also now involved with the Truth Progect. The daming health report has opened some old wounds of not being believed when abuse was going on as a child. Still feel a bit like Im hanging on by a thread but getting some help now, I just don't have the energy to go through the appeal system again. We have talked to the people who do the actual report(which reading some of the things in that that put me over the edge) The lady on the phone was lovely & appologised for putting me through so much stress, I still have to put it all in writing though. They have said there is no time limit so I can do this at my own pace & not panic about a dead line which has made me feel a bit easier about it. Its good that there are sites like yours where we can open up a bit without being juged. Thank you again 
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Now Im reading that they want to change the appeal system as 72% of their dessissons were over turned last year(surely that tells you its the DWP that are getting it wrong) 

They are getting it wrong alright, they will keep changing the rules until 80% or more lose at appeal. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.