Disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability

Options
tractorman
tractorman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I wonder if you can help me, I have been told by my Doctor that I have depression and have done since last year, I also have copd, asthma, I also have a back problem where my spine has lost fluid down the left side, I struggle with walking and climbing stairs, I have been to see doctors and surgeons and had mri scans and xrays, will this be enough for me to claim pip, any help would be great. Many Thanks.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello @tractorman   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

To answer your question yes if you need to claim. Have a look at our website on benefits and lots of information.

Have PIP Helpline number for a claim form.

0800 121 4433

More on benefits https://www.gov.uk./browse/benefits/

Also consider speaking to CAB about filling in claim form. It helps they have expertise knowledge on benefits and form filling in.

Please ask anything further . Members of our community or team will be able  answer .

Please can I ask are you receiving any support for your depression?

I have mental health issues used this charity last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Many charities have welfare benefit advisors as well as floating support can be useful to help with benefits and everything concerned around it.

Including attending assessments.  Your mental health and wellbeing.

Something to consider.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tractorman and welcome

PIP is based on your functionality to manage a range of daily activities and not on medical condition or diagnosis.
    Have a look at the PIP descriptors and see how you meet the criteria
    Nobody on a forum can tell you whether you are entitled to an award as every case is different.
    I also have COPD and back problems and do receive PIP
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As CR states, PIP is not about your illnesses, disability or medications you take, but about your abilities to function in daily live activities in relation to the PIP descriptiors. Do a self test of the PIP descriptors and see how you fair be honest with yourself as what you put on the application form will have to be justified at your F2F acessment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.