PIP..assessments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP..assessments

roxy14
roxy14 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello first post.. Has anybody not  had to attend an PIP assessment ever..

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @roxy14
    Unless you have a terminal illness you’ll usually have to have an assessment to complete your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) application. It would be unusual to not having an assessment.
    Do you want to tell us a bit more about yourself?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • roxy14
    Thanks for reply,I just wondered, Currently waiting for the dreaded PIP form..
  • Ununpentium
    Ununpentium Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi @roxy14 I have had 2 pip assessments. The first was in an assessment centre, and the second in my house.

I would recommend keeping a copy of your completed pip forms so you can refer back to them in your assessment as prompts. You will be asked lots of questions about how you manage with your health conditions and what you can and can't do. There's usually a very short physical assessment too where you may be asked to reach up, bend down and things like that. If it causes pain or you can't do it then you can say so. 
    Sarah - Online Community Volunteer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When filling out the forms you should make sure that you put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. There's very limited space on the form so i'd advise using extra paper. Make sure you add your name and NI number to everything you send.

You'll need to make sure you send evidence with the form to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. If a home assessment is needed you'll need a letter off your GP stating the reasons why, even then it's not guaranteed that you'll have a home assessment.

Waiting times very depending on backlog in your area and it can be several months before a decision's made. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • roxy14
    Thanks for that, yes that's a good idea..
  • roxy14
    edited March 2019
    I thought about getting my medical records from my GP (£50) and send them too.. So the DLA just continues then while you wait I do have a lifetime award.. 
  • poppy123456
    DLA will continue, providing the PIP forms are returned on time. If you don't have enough time to return them then you can and ask for a 14 day extension.

No need to pay £50 for your medical records from your GP. It's free to have digital copies of these. If you want paper copies then of course there will be a charge for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • roxy14
    Really, so if I ask my GP for digital copies and then just print them off?
  • poppy123456
    Yes absolutely, there's no charge for this.
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    DLA will continue, providing the PIP forms are returned on time. If you don't have enough time to return them then you can and ask for a 14 day extension.

No need to pay £50 for your medical records from your GP. It's free to have digital copies of these. If you want paper copies then of course there will be a charge for this.
    Hi sorry to bother but how do you get digital copies? My GP’s are reluctant to give anything out and it’s up to 40 days wait for paper copy that’s only £10 or £20 not the money but digital sounds better
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2019
    They absolutely can not charge you to receive your medical records, unless you want paper copies and then it's different. You can request then through a SAR. See link. https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/fees/medical-records

They can and do still charge for a letter but that's different.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.