Residential school and UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Residential school and UC

millierex
millierex Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
There is a chance I will move into a residential school studying GCSEs and A levels. 
I am 19.
I have been assessed as having LCWRA and get the money for this. 
My place would be funded by my Education, health and care plan. 

- Will I no longer receive money from universal credit?
- Are there any other changes? 

Any help would be appreciated as I have bills to pay (phone, watch, Microsoft word that I need for school etc.) and haven't managed to find much clear guidance anywhere.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @millierex

Please try Disabilty Rights UK, disabled students helpline tel: 0330 995 0414, 11am - 1pm - Tues & Thurs.

They will give you guidance and advice.

Keep us informed.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Being in residential school can affect any benefits you claim, such as PIP daily living and DLA care and also UC. This is extremely complicated so you'll need to get expert advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • millierex
    millierex Community member Posts: 9 Listener
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @millierex
    I have asked the @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your question, I hope theyll be along soon. :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi millierex,

Most students are not eligible for Universal Credit, although there are exceptions to this. I would need to check that you count as a student but don't have enough information to be sure.

Even if you do count as a student you can still claim UC in some circumstances. These include being aged under 21 on a non advanced course and living 'without parental support or people who have limited capability for work and also receive DLA or PIP. There are others which would need to be checked to see if they apply to you.

I think you need to get individual advice about your circumstances. Another poster suggested the Disabled Students helpline and I think it would be a good idea for you to call them on 0330 995 0414 between 11 - 1 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays or email students@disabilityrightsuk.org

Regards,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.