Blue Badge and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue Badge and PIP

Options
lloydyd
lloydyd Community member Posts: 18 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, Quick Q on PIP and Blue Badge....If one has been issued a blue badge by their local authority, then that must mean that they have scored at least an 8 in Eng and NI, to get one of these. Does that then not translate into the same (as a min score) for PIP?

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

There are two ways of getting a blue badge.

1. Having been awarded motobility at standard or enhanced of PIP.

2. Having been assessed by OT or physio by the local authority.
  • lloydyd
    Options
    Ok, so the reason I asked, is that I got a badge some time ago (about a year) and had neither of those things happen...I have since been awarded 0 at a PIP assessment...So was curious as to how this could be the case (What is OT)? 
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    unfortunately not as each local authority has their own criteria for blue badge acceptance, for example all I need to do is get a letter from my GP saying I need one and also send in copies of my DLA/PIP award and the relevant payments etc.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/applying-for-a-blue-badge/
  • atlas46
    Options
    Hi

You must have applied to your council, to get one.

An OT is an Occupational Therapist, you would had to provide proof of ID, passport photo and pay £10 fee and completed application form.
  • lloydyd
    Options
    Yes I applied to council and got one, but as I wasnt getting pip or DLA or any other benefit, I wondered if it would make a difference to my MR or tribunal to tell them I have one? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Options
    To automatically qualify for a blue badge in England through a PIP award you need to score at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of PIP. If you scored the points in following and planning a journey this doesn't automatically qualify you for a blue badge.

OT is Occupational Therapist. People have blue badges without having a PIP/DLA award and people have PIP/DLA awards without having a blue badge.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    Options
    They would not consider your blue badge award, as the council would have a different criteria to PIP.

This is my opinion, so feel free to make your own mind up.

Hope this helps.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.