new-style esa assessment rate backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new-style esa assessment rate backpay

yellow2018
yellow2018 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
After much difficulty in communicating with them, dwp have agreed that I should be paid assessment rate ESA whilst going through the process, not just credits-only as they initially decided for me. However, they have only given me backpay to the date I called up to apply in February. However, I stated on on my esa form that I wanted my claim to start in December (as new-style esa states on the website that you can backdate your claim up to 3 months) and my corresponding fit note starts on this date in December. If I have a fit note starting from December, surely it is correct that I am back paid the assessment rate to this point, as opposed to just getting backpay to when I called up to start my application in February? I would appreciate some advice so I know whether or not to chase this up. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes New style ESA can be backdated 3 months, as you stated this on your form then there should be no reason why you shouldn't receive backdated money. The only reason why you wouldn't receive backdated money for those 3 months is if you were claiming Carers Allowance at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • yellow2018
    yellow2018 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Okay, I was not claiming CA at that time, so I will chase that up. Thank you for your advice. Regards.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Hi poppy finally did mr now if this turned down I go tribunal when they reply is that when I send sick note backdated to when esa stopped
  • poppy123456
    Okay, I was not claiming CA at that time, so I will chase that up. Thank you for your advice. Regards.
    You're welcome. I'm glad you finally got the payments sorted, rather than just the NI credits. Hopefully you'll get this sorted soon too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Hi poppy finally did mr now if this turned down I go tribunal when they reply is that when I send sick note backdated to when esa stopped
    Hi,

You can send them anytime providing they are backdated. I know you haven't had the MR decision yet but no harm in being prepared. Use this link to send them. https://www.gov.uk/send-fit-note

• Dotty123
    Will they know it’s from me when send it as I’m not claiming anything just mr then tribunal sorry to bother you 
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Will they know it’s from me when send it as I’m not claiming anything just mr then tribunal sorry to bother you 
    Yes because you add your NI number.
  • Dotty123
    Ok thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.