Help with DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with DLA to PIP

Tonypiano777
Tonypiano777 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and it may take time for me to get used to the  “forum layout”  ? hope I’ve posted in the right place! 

I am due to come off DLA (All lower rate) now, and on to PIP -  and I’m  pretty het up about it. ?

I’m Not sure if I can post my experiences here (or in another section)  ?‍♂️ , but I’m an ex-Carer, 58 years old, and now living alone,  who needs help with this Personal independence payment  (I’m currently on ESA [contribution-based/support group] ) too  

Thank you.

TonyPiano777?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tonypiano777
    Welcome to the community, you have posted in the right place and you can post your experiences here in this post.

Changing from DLA to PIP can be really stressful, lots of people really struggle with this. I have asked our @BenefitsTrainingCo
    to come and answer your questions so hopefully they will be along soon.

There are lots of members here who have been through the same thing though, so do ask questions and get chatting. There are no silly questions here!! We all understand just how confusing and distressing the benefits system can be!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Thank you Sam ?

RE: PIP.  I received my letter to say “my DLA is ending”  (last Thursday), and I am yet to make a phone call to request a PIP form, as need to take this in stages, as I haven’t  got a lot of information to go on, meaning carers/care professionals, psychiatrists/therapist  (this alone is creating anxiety)   All i have is my GP.

My GP is ringing me today 5-7 pm (telephone appointment) as I’m unable to get out of the house through ongoing-agoraphobia/claustrophobia/Chronic anxiety (which was on my doctors last letter 2012 - but this was for  Claimmg  ESA). So i need to get a supporting letter (I think) from my doctor before i ring the DWP, at least thats what I’m going to do (as probably wont receive the letter till next week). 

Its assuring to know you aren’t alone with  mental issues, (and yes, it does sometimes seem your the only one in th world...) 

its an extremely long story (as a former carer for my brother (11 years) and my mother (5 Years ) severely mentally handicapped (brother) and Alzheimer’s (mother but wont burden you with that, however it’s taken its toll. I filled in A PIP form  for for my brother 18 months ago, but he was in a nursing home anyway, At this time, but even this was very difficult - with all the care professionals/therapist etc to fall upon. I collapsed and was taken to A&E. 

Thanks for your reply.  

TonyPiano777

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @Tonypiano777 If you are being moved from DLA to PIP you should claim PIP within the timescale PIP says in their letter, that way, while your PIP is being decided and processed you can continue to receive your DLA payments.  When you call PIP they will take some initial basic information and issue you with a PIP2 questionnaire.  This gives you a month to return (the date for return will be on the form)  If you feel you need more time to complete the form you can call PIP and ask for a 2 week extension.  You can get help from a local advice centre with the form: contact your local council, look for a Citizens Advice or search here for an independent advice centre near to you: http://www.adviceuk.org.uk/looking-for-advice/find-advice/
    You should not delay claiming PIP simply due to waiting for medical evidence or information, this can be sent in either with the PIP2 form or later still.  If you see an adviser about the form, they should also be able to guide you on getting more evidence.  I hope that helps
    As an aside, if you are on contribution based ESA  and are in the Support Group, if you are single and have no other income (other than DLA) and have no savings over £16,000 you should also be on income related ESA - you should contact ESA and ask to be sent an ESA3 form.  Do not let them tell you that you should claim UC - this is not correct. If you need more advice, the local advice centre can help or of course I am sure you can post again on here if you wish.
    Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Hello Sarah (BenefitsTrainingCo )

Thanks for your reply. 

My “deadline” to call for the PIP form is March 22nd, but ill Call  ASAP.  Thanks for the heads up on info required when calling (though I’ve been through this process before whilst claiming my disabled brothers PIP, but was over <1.5 years> ago. 
    I’ve got a Doctors’s letter coming in about a week, with just a bit more info needed from me before he types one out, as my condition as changed since the last letter. (For example, i now have claustrophobia AS WELL as agoraphobia) but I’m rest assured it’ll go back with the form on time 

Ive had a letter re Income related ESA - but have over £16,000 (or combined at least) so i rang them about this, and they sent me a letter of confirmation but told me i can always apply should i need to (in the future )

Thank you for the Citizens Advice Bureau link. 

Edit: had to type this out twice, as hit the refresh button, not knowing it deletes all your text ?

Tony. 

• Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Please help me. I’m totally stuck. 

Ive received a second letter today (two weeks after the first letter to move from dla to pip) but my brains just locked up.(i have very bad memory problems, and need to read a paragraph MANY times to understand, let alone the large documents.   I dont know what to do. I am supposed to ring up, and give details etc which I’m ok with but stuck on the question i will get asked for “supporting evidence” as i have my doctor (only) who’s updating me with a letter next week. will I get asked these quastions of supporting carer workers/social workers etc? As i have none I’m afraid, but  only my audiologists (i am an hearing aid wearer and very hard of hearing, even on the phone, and takes me several listens to take in information, as cant remember sentences etc unless repeated).  

Its making me more anxious than ever, and not slept more than 2-3 hours per night this past fortnight (my sleeps bad as it is) I’m too mentally  tired at the moment (2.20 pm) to converse on the phone confused ?‍♂️  And with my brothers pip form which is ongoing (and came this week is making things worse, though its more straight forwards as he’s in a nursing home now ) 

Edit: could i get a  social worker to help me? But times running out (got till 22nd march to claim, and DLA tempory being stopped till 19th April.(if i dont claim this time that is)  Should i just ring anyway as dont want it to affect my claim.

Tony (sorry on mobile device so forgive spelling etc) sorry for bothering as other people on thes forums also have needs Ive read. 

Is there anyone i can speak to from tcommunity scope today? 

Tony. 

• Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Double post sorry 
  • yanni
    yanni Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    edited March 2019

Hi Tony

I have hearing difficulties as well and I found out that you can apply for a claim form (PIP2) by post  

Claim by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
    Post Handling Site B
    Wolverhampton
    WV99 1AH

(From https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim)

I just wrote:

‘Please take this letter as confirmation that I want to apply for PIP. Please send me the necessary forms to do so’ 

I provided my name, address and NI no and sent it to the above address.

I would recommend sending it by recorded delivery so you have proof it was sent.

You might also want to look at the NGT text relay service https://www.ngts.org.uk/ if you need to phone the DWP (or anyone else) at some point. A relay assistant will type what the other person is saying and then you can either speak or type your response. I use this when I contact the DWP as I struggle to follow what people are saying on the phone.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Tonypiano777 Pleased to meet you. Sorry what you are going through.

I know you are experiencing lots of issues and problems.

This is difficult for you and to deal with it on your own is never easy.

I have mental health issues as well. Sometimes finding the support you need to cope right now.  Could be useful to look at.

I used this charity if this helps you. You were talking about a social worker.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

They offer support and help with your mental health plus access to floating support or an out reach worker.

Also help with benefits, welfare and anything else.

Something to consider.

Hope that helps.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help members.

Please if I can help with anything further. Wish for a chat . Ready to listen and be supportive.

I have been through the assessments many times and it is never easy to deal with.

Please keep in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tonypiano777
    Thank the thespiceman and yanni. Lots of good info there to take on board. Will check the links later on thanks you.  The NGT is new to me Yanni, so will explore that more.  

I will look at the charity link you provided thespiceman and appreciate the help you’ve given me.  

TonyPiano777
  • Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Hello again.  

I rang up for the PIP form last week (not come yet though) and it wasn’t a  good start, as the person on the phone was getting rather annoyed having to repeat questions (like tick-boxes i guess). And was shouting at me at one stage though we ended up ok at the end of the conversation,  though after 35-40 minutes of this call, i hope these people are a bit more cordial than this in the future. I told the person  Before-hand as an hearing aid wear i may have difficulties. The person was VERY “rushy” 

What I’d like to know now though, and have more information on is  the “pre PIP form ” that’s coming, with  tips on how to fill it in, and templates i saw on this website somewhere (but cant find them now)

For example, I can make beans on toast, and do boiled eggs, but i need a reminder on my phone to let me know when they’re done.  And other things like operating  washers. My sister has to help with that as i just dont have a clue, sorry. And my hearing and dizziness. I get it a lot of the time, but not necessarily ALL the time, so what would I put etc. ?

I have a welfare rights team who live nearby, (dealt with them before) would i be best ringing them to help fill my form in? Or (like before when i had them) help me with possible tribunals.appeals  etc?  (This was for my ESA 6 years ago) 

Thank you everyone.

Piano777 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    When filling out the form you need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

Operating a washing machine isn't part of any of the descriptors and won't score you any points.

Preparing food. This activity considers a claimant’s ability to prepare and cook a simple meal for one from fresh ingredients. It assesses ability to open packaging, peel and chop, serve food on to a plate and use a microwave oven or cooker hob to cook or heat food. So for this, do you need to use an aid to help you, maybe you can't stand for long periods of time so you need to use a perching stool?

No one can tell you what you should put because only you know how your conditions affect you. This guide may help but if you're still not sure then yes, face to face advice would be a start.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @poppy123456

Its a “mixed bag “ in the kitchen etc, as can open cans etc, but cant peel potatoes (for example) and if using a microwave oven is pat of the descriptor (same applies for timing etc) then why not a washer? Thanks for the link/Guide much appreciated.  Ill look at that now. 

Piano777
  • poppy123456
    You need to explain why you can't peel potatoes, what happens why you do peel them. Not being able to cook isn't part of the descriptor and won't score you any points.

A washer isn't part of any of the descriptors. Having some understanding of what the descriptors are all about and what they mean will certainly help. This link is a very long read but i'd recommend you to at least read the descriptors that apply to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Thanks poppy. 

had a look at the first link,  and whilst Large, is Very helpful.  My main problems arise from Q9 onwards (getting out, mixing with public, going out in cars etc) I’ve not walked in a town centre for example for over 20 years due to chronic anxiety and agoraphobia.

Also bathing problems too, in which i get “claustrophobia” (since 2007) which means i can’t shower/ bath all at once, as have to do it in stages. (Wash hair downstairs for example) 

Thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    For the mobility descriptors then moving around is for those with a physical condition and planning and following a journey is for those with cognitive/sensory and mental health. For mental health then it's very difficult to score points for following and planning a journey unless overwhelming psychological distress (OPD) is present.

Washing and bathing, 2 points is possible if you need prompting.
  • Aran
    Aran Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    Hello and welcome to the community @Tonypiano777 im one of the new champions for Scope to help people find information , this link might help you https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/pip&ved=2ahUKEwjxk6j56qDhAhXwXhUIHX-dA2IQFjAHegQICBAD&usg=AOvVaw2gSEm8XUsfgvPsjmFZoUFD 
    All the best Aran 
  • Tonypiano777
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Aran,  thanks for the  link much appreciated.  ?

Thanks for the welcome. 

Tony. ?
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering

If you can't get help, please consider joining https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ . I've found it extremely helpful. It costs 20GBP to join for a year, but it has amazing guides which guide you on how to fill in the form, step by step. There's also a really helpful forum.

• Tonypiano777
    Thanks waylay for the link.  Much appreciated.

Tony 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Tonypiano777 In response to your post please I may suggest some helpful advice.

I know it is difficult for you with your mental health.

One of the reasons I added the links to the charity .

When I first replied to you was because not only could they help you with your mental health.

Also help you with benefit forms. They have experience of filling in forms like PIP. Know what to put the correct and right information.

Also help with assessments attending with you.

It might be worth contacting them. 

Another suggestion is to contact CAB who also have had expertise and knowledge in form filling in.

I have been doing this a long time.  More than twenty years ongoing.  On benefits and never  fill in a form.  I know I need to get the form right.

Then I need to contact the right people who know and can offer guidance.

One other suggestion is I do is notes before filling in a form. Give my answers on a paper. What is needed to fill in. My health history and descriptors.

This then helps any one who I have to fill in the form.  Together we come up with answers.  Word this correctly. Short and to the point.

Last visit was to CAB two ladies aided me. While one wrote it in.  I could do that but have decided never.

Do ask at the assessments. Answer is have problems with forms.

Other times floating support or outreach worker filled it in with my assistance.

Please what I forgot to add. The floating support then adds we will put in a report with the form.

Describing my problems, issues and how are am doing the descriptors.  Why I need floating support.

Does help.

Hope this gives you some suggestions.  Some guidance and advice.  Wish you the best in a successful outcome.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.