Chat and stuff, I have a problem. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chat and stuff, I have a problem.

Options
Dawns61
Dawns61 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
They say start at the beginning but i'm not sure where that is so bear with me.  I waffle, memory outages too.  This is why the Internet is great for me.  If I lose words, lose train of thought, it doesn't matter because I can go away and come back.  But I still waffle.  Housebound, that's my biggest problem.  The last few years i've managed to get out no more than a handful of times.  I'm physically disabled with a number of conditions including chronic pain, plus 24/7 oxygen.  Some years ago I had to give up my mobility scooter because the arthritis in my neck was making it dangerous.  2 near misses  I had to return it.  Last year I returned my wheelchair (powered).  The year before I had an accident caused by worsening cramping in my hands.  I really didn't want to send it back, but it was costing so much £ as a glorified kitchen chair it didn't make sense to keep it.  So now I use a zimmer frame or trolley to get around my home.  I manage, i'm lucky enough to live in a Council adapted bungalow.  I am grateful for it.  Feelings of isolation and loneliness of course.  I have an old friend who I grew up with, she comes twice a week bless her.  Love her dearly.  I also have 2 much loved daughters, ditto 2 grandsons.  Plus one gorgeous little Jack Russell.  The sweetest nature, my GP said there must be a little angel inside him!  I'm inclined to agree.   :smiley: 

Speaking of my daughters, one is planning to get married.  She said not to worry, she will sort it.  I can't help worrying.  These so called 'portable' oxygen tanks last about 3 & half hours, so I would need, maybe 3?  To take with me, and find a chair to hire?  Just to get to my gate, not sure if I will be able to get in either of my daughters' cars.  Someone is going to have to stay with me all day and look after me, toilet etc. I tire easily.  Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dawns61 I understand your concerns.

Have you spoken to your GP about providing oxygen tanks during the wedding day? Are both venues provided with essential facilities that would help you?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Well, speaking as a daughter, there is absolutely nothing I wouldn't happily do to have my mum at my wedding. It sounds like she is already thinking about how to help you and I beg of you to take her help. Take all help and be at that wedding because, it will be amazing. Hard work! But amazing for you. 

St my wedding I had several people who needed adaptations and support. I really wanted them there.

Really nice introduction @Dawns61, your dog sounds like a cutie pie! And do you see your grandchildren? 

Hows it going living a 'at hokw' life? Any tips or advise for us? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have a word with your oxygen supplier, they may be able to deliver bottles to the venue
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Dawns61
    Options
    @CockneyRebel Thank you for that, worth looking into.

• Dawns61
    Options
    @mossycow Thank you so much.  I didn't see that, but i'm sure you're right.  She's a darling and she's been through so much, she deserves the very best and that's what she's found in her amazing fiance.  Her boys are a major part of our small but loving family.  They're a joy to be around.  I'm a dotty Nana that doesn't have much to offer, but we have fun and they like coming here.  They landed on my doorstep last summer, no roof over their head, and a bit cramped but we made it work.  She found a home for them before they went back to school in September.  Their future is looking great!  My elder daughter, close sisters, always there for each other.  Relieves any worries a mother may have!

Marley is a rescue dog.  My old friend ("Oi, not so much of the old") came across him through an advert.  He suffered with anxiety and panic attacks.  I have a back garden, it's quiet here, but he doesn't go out for walks.  My friend takes him for veterinary care but it's heartbreaking to see his distress.  He's happy here.  No siugns of distress or anxiety.  Just a serene, contented little dog.  When I have to go into hospital my elder daughter comes to stay here with him.  He loves her and I don't need to worry about him.  <3  
  • Dawns61
    Options
    @Ami2301 Hi there.  The venue is not yet booked.  They wanted to get married this summer but they had an unexpected expense in finding a home which hit the savings quite hard.  She's at work atm but I will call her later.  I have a feeling she's already thought this through.  When she said "don't worry" I should've taken her at her word.  She's well versed in my problems.   ;)

Brightness