Confused over esa — Scope | Disability forum

Confused over esa

box_of_frogs Member Posts: 4 Listener
Morning, I've been recieving high rate care and low rate mobility DLA for 20 years. I also received SDA, can't remember when it was switched to esa, but I receive £224.10 2 weekly. I went through the pip process in October, February this year, they finally got in touch to say that I had been awarded no mobility and standard daily living. I sent off a mandatory reconsideration shortly after and heard yesterday that the award had been changed to the enhanced rate for both components. I was due an esa payment Monday, (which shows on my account on Saturday morning, always has done for the last 10 years) 
Theres been no payment made. Obviously, I'll ring them first thing Monday morning but just wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on. Have I lost my esa because my pip entitlement has gone up?, or will it need to be re calculated as a change in circumstances.
Obviously, like anyone who has to rely on benefits to live, i live week to week and I'm now panicking about my budgeting.
Apologies for the essay but I'd appreciate any advice or words of wisdom.
Thanks :smile:


  • annedh
    annedh Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi, I get PIP and ESA so you can get both. They are paid from different sources so shouldn't affect each other. Have you beenover to UC or are you pensionable age ??? Hope it turns up and things will be easier when your PIP payments come through. Take care  
  • box_of_frogs
    box_of_frogs Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for your reply, I'm not pension age and haven't been moved over to UC. I'm assuming it's just a glitch in the system.
    So relieved with my pip decision, it's not a pleasant process that's for sure! 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger

    Hello @box_of_frogs Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

    I would advise ring them up as you stated in your post. I understand there will be members of our team or a member of our community may advise further.

    You could contact CAB as they can also advise .

    Hope that helps.

    Please have a look around our website .

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.