Letter received today about my hospital admission — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Letter received today about my hospital admission

paulwatson1969
paulwatson1969 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi everyone 
just got a letter today to say I have to pay back my dla for my hospital admission in 2017 / 2018 
its a bit of a shock and puts pressure on me again , I was basically paying £200 from my benefit to pay my rent at my old address. Welsh veterans association allocated me a flat with a housing association and things were actually looking up for a change , recently received my PiP so was a god send and now my rent is all paid . I’m feeling Angry! 
They take my war pension Army pension from my benefits and I’m starting to feel discriminated. 
It’s taken them over a year to decide they have over payed me ?
apparently the hospital are supposed to deal with all this or ?
i mean when your in a psychosis I never heard the voices and Madness tell me to phone up dla to inform them of a change of circumstances? 
Im starting to feel better and then they hit me with this ? 
Has anyone actually experienced this? And can you please tell me what I’m going to expect in the next letter about Repayment 

thanks a lot 

paul 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @paulwatson1969 welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear what has happened. I experienced something similar last year. I was in hospital/rehab for 9 months last year. My mum is my appointee as I have hearing difficulties so I cannot use the phone.

Understandably, my mum had her mind elsewhere, visiting me everyday while in critical care so it didn't cross her mind to phone PIP to tell them what had happened.

We thought it was 28 weeks after being hospitalized but no, its 28 days after being admitted that you have to notify them that you have been in hospital.

When my mum contacted them, the woman on the phone was very understanding and said that I needed a review of my circumstances and then they would sort out a repayment plan.

After my review, I continue to receive enhanced rates of both components and I have just under £200 deducted from my monthly payments.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • paulwatson1969
    But surely they can’t take that much ? That pip is for your present disability?
    they should take the bare minimum!!!
    taking that much money off you is depriving you of your pip which you need for care and disability.
    are they trying to say you don’t need that until you have paid them back !

I’m sorry but its so wrong 

• Ami2301
    Not at all, I still receive £380 a month which is still a lot considering how much I owe them, I just want to pay it off as quickly as possible, I did actually offer to pay more but they were happy with the amount they gave me. It is a struggle but I am managing.
  • paulwatson1969
    Perhaps I misunderstood your question.
    if they took £200 pound a month off my pip it would be a serious problem.
    a huge Defizit.
    i guess I’ll just have to wait patiently for the next letter.

thanks anyway 

• Ami2301
    Keep us updated and let us know if you need any further help :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @paulwatson1969 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am sorry to hear this.  I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

There will be members of our community or a member of our team might be able to answer your query.

Understand how concerned you are. I would speak to CAB for anything further they may be able to assist with.

They have benefit expertise and knowledge plus may be able to offer some solutions.

Please ask if we can help with anything else.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • paulwatson1969

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.